Windwalker
Sponsoring Member

Beg For Forgiveness
- vs - Beg For
Permission

Mt. Pleasant, Ut
Old Rides
08/01/06 at 12:11:00

Here on the forum I hear a lot of "My New Ride."  Does anyone use a "My Not So New Ride."    Give me an idea as to what the older OHVs are out there that are being well used.  Not the spare one parked in the back of the shed gathering dust, but that are being ridden on a regular bases.  

I ride a 2000 Arctic Cat 500 Auto bought in the fall of 1999 and it seems to be doing just fine.  Although there is a new 2up Can-Am in the not to distant future  Roll Eyes(if I behave myself.) Roll Eyes And I don't have to beg for forgiveness, I already have permission.

" " Life Sucks When Making A Living Gets In The Way Of Living " "

Artic Cat 2000, 500 Auto
Dreams of a CAN_AM 800 X2
  IP Logged
mcgeed
Post Ho
Big Ride 7

I love ATVs!

Syracuse, Utah
Re: Old Rides
Reply #1 - 08/01/06 at 13:53:13

Windwalker wrote on 08/01/06 at 12:11:00:
Here on the forum I hear a lot of "My New Ride."  Does anyone use a "My Not So New Ride."    Give me an idea as to what the older OHVs are out there that are being well used.  Not the spare one parked in the back of the shed gathering dust, but that are being ridden on a regular bases.  

I ride a 2000 Arctic Cat 500 Auto bought in the fall of 1999 and it seems to be doing just fine.  Although there is a new 2up Can-Am in the not to distant future  Roll Eyes(if I behave myself.) Roll Eyes And I don't have to beg for forgiveness, I already have permission.

I have a 2003 Prairie 650 and until last fall, had a 1986 Yamaha Moto4.  The Yamaha got ridden a little too hard by my son who was trying to keep up with the big boys and it died.  He rounded a corner a little too fast and found himself in some brush and trees.  Scraped himself up a bit and busted a bunch of the plastic on the bike.  Then the transmission started making funny noises and acting up.  Turns out the bearings in the trans were shot (or something like that).  Parts alone were going to be over $400 and labor another $300.  More than the bike was worth.  I gave them the bike in trade for the labor to diagnose the problems.

That bike has been 'rode hard and put away wet' a lot of times.  It's had some HARD miles on it.  Was a good bike.

So, now I'm down to just one bike.

--
Life should not be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in
an attractive and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used
up, totally worn out, and screaming
"Woo Hoo -- What A Ride!"
--
E-mail: mcgeed2001@gmail.com
WWW   IP Logged
monty

my favorite rock
group is sedimentary

Livingston MT
Reply #2 - 08/01/06 at 14:03:21

i have an old Suzuki Quadrunner 250 4x4 that never failed me. that little atv went just about everywhere i pointed it. it has THREE RANGES, diff lock, manual 5 speed, ect, but it also needed three ranges with the anemic motor, and has very limited suspension travel. still that little atv could be one of the best ever.

monty

650i w/stuff
  IP Logged
rincondoug

"THE
PAIUTE" THERE
IS NO SUBSTITUTE

northern illinois
Reply #3 - 08/01/06 at 14:25:22

This is a 1978 Honda odyssey we picked up about 6 years ago. I also just picked up a 1975 Honda trx 125.  AS you can see we have fun on the odyssey.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
or Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
!!

IP Logged
Big_Daddio

On a Quest to ride
the ultimate trail

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Reply #4 - 08/01/06 at 15:29:41

The old Honda odyssey was a great machine for its day. From what I understand, Honda quit producing the Odyssey because of legal problems (They were being sued everytime they turned around because the Odyssey loved to flip end over end) Every now and then you'll see one for sale.

Let me ask, do you find it hard to get parts for it?

2006 Suzuki King Quad 700
2004 Suzuki Vinson 500, both in Camo
2003 Ford F-250
  IP Logged
quadforce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I love ATVs!

Roy,Ut
Reply #5 - 08/01/06 at 22:10:10

I had a 78 Odyssey that I sold last year . I bought it for a father -son project with my oldest son . He ended up playing video  games while I worked out in the shop .  Not quite what I had in mind so I sold it . Honda still has a lot of parts for these and there are several junk yards for just Odysseys . There's also ads in the back of magazines for parts . Now , if it had been a Pilot I'm sure I would still have it around .  The older units didn't have hand restraints . That was a big problem . When the unit would start to tip over people would put their hand out to catch themselves . It was an instant reaction  that broke a lot of body parts .

Big Ride 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Yeah , I kinda like to ride .

Public Lands Equal Access Alliance
Dedicated to Responsible Outdoor Recreation and the Preservation and Expansion of Trail Access
  IP Logged
TwinTop
God Member
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride

Do it with a Twin

Davis County, Northern Utah
Reply #6 - 08/01/06 at 22:42:03

I've got a 1987 Yamaha Zinger (60cc). It didn't run when I picked it up so with a little work it came back to life and I let my little girls decide what color they wanted it. So now I have an ATV for Barbie. Anyway it's a fun little bike and its good for them to cut their teeth on.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
or Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
!!

2013 Outlander 800, 2004 Twin Peak 700, 2003 Kodiak 400, 2003 Ozark 250
  IP Logged
taccom
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member

From the swamps of
LA to the Mountains
of UTAH

Marysvale,UT
Reply #7 - 08/01/06 at 23:43:58

One of the best ATVs I've ever owned was a Honda Big Red 250 three wheeeler, 1985 variant.  It still rides and drives just like it did when it was bought.  Probably has a million miles on it.  I keep it running and in good shape in case Ralph Nader ever comes to town.

Taccom: Always in Control
2007 Rincon with Duros and Rule 3000lb winch
2010 Rockwood Windjammer model #3001W
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
SPOT equipped in case of opps!
  IP Logged
carlc44
God Member

Love to ride.

Saratoga Springs, UT
Reply #8 - 08/02/06 at 14:50:21

Taccom, good on ya.  I like the jab at Nader!   LOL

Cool

2017 Polaris General

Love to play golf too.
  IP Logged
SOBLE
Newbies

I Love Utah!

Reply #9 - 08/03/06 at 09:53:38

I had an 85' Suzuki Quadrunner, beat that baby to death. Great bike. Bought it for $200 from my Uncle, beat it up some more, welded the foot pegs back on, welded a crack in the gear case, and sold it for $500 Smiley Also had an '86 Polaris Trailboss, my favorite bike to this day. It had it's quirks but that thing had some serious miles put on it. I upgraded to a 2000 Yamaha Big Bear but didn't care for the low gear ratios after I rode with some Grizzly's. I upgraded to a 2004 Grizz 660 which will now have to last me for a long long time.

IP Logged
quadsquad
Super Sponsor
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I'm happy as long as
my butt's on a quad!

Roy, Utah
Reply #10 - 08/04/06 at 07:22:42

When everyone was on the three wheel craze I bought the very first 4 wheel ATV, a 125 Suzuki Quadrunner. It was about the size of the current 50 cc bikes these days. Mind you I am 6'4" tall and weighed about 260 then. I looked really funny riding it. But I will tell you, it climbed everything I ever tried and, as one friend put it, "it was as much fun as a guy can have with his clothes on!" On one deer hunt it hauled three of us up a very steep hill. Later in life I had a 350 yamaha Big Bear that struggled up that hill with just me on it. I also bought the 185 Suzuki when it hit the market a few months later. These were great machines. they had no suspension and I could haul both of those suckers in the back of my truck. I didn't even need ramps to load them. I could pick them up and throw them in the back. I finally sold them to my sister when I moved to Texas. She used them up until about 5 years ago and then sold them for more than she paid me for them. I would love to have them back for the grandkids (don't have any yet, but one must be prepared!!).

"Life should not be a journey to the grave
"Woo Hoo -- What A Ride!" "

IP Logged
monty

my favorite rock
group is sedimentary

Livingston MT
Reply #11 - 08/04/06 at 07:42:21

the very first 4-wheeler i saw was the 185 Quadrunner 2x4, with two grown men on it, a deer on the front rack, and it was dragging an elk uphill through 18" of snow. i was impressed to say the least.

monty

650i w/stuff
  IP Logged
mcgeed
Post Ho
Big Ride 7

I love ATVs!

Syracuse, Utah
Reply #12 - 08/04/06 at 09:36:33

monty wrote on 08/04/06 at 07:42:21:
the very first 4-wheeler i saw was the 185 Quadrunner 2x4, with two grown men on it, a deer on the front rack, and it was dragging an elk uphill through 18" of snow. i was impressed to say the least.

monty

My dad bought one of those Suzuki 185s back in 1986.  I rode thousands of miles on that bike.  It was light on the front end so I learned quickly to lean way up over the handlebars when going up steep hills.  That or I'd strap a big rock on the front of the bike - there was a nice little nook that was just made for holding a rock for balast!!

Now I'm no small guy.  That bike has packed me all over many many mountains.  Some really steep hills I'd have to get off and kinda follow the bike up but 90 percent of everything I ever tried, it took me there.

Me and all my extra pounds always kept up with the other little guys on their bigger bikes.  In 1986 that was about the biggest bike you could buy.  Then my dad bought that Yamaha Moto4 which was a 225cc machine.  Dual range!  That baby would CLIMB!  But I still kept up most places on that little Suzuki.

Obviously there's no comparison to the Prairie 650 that I now ride.  But back in them days, it was a mighty good little ride!

--
--
WWW   IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #13 - 08/06/06 at 16:20:59

Back in 1983 I purchased a Suzuki QuadRunner LT125, it was one of the first built for the US. I was working for a trucking company who brought the first load off the docks from Suzuki to a dealer. Smiley I saw it and fell in love. The thing never even got off the truck and out of the crate before I had it bought. I'd already ridden a Honda 2 wheeler or 2 into the ground and I thought this thing looked like fun. Well long story short it was great for my young kids, but I was probably too big for the little thing even though I still rode it to death. I dear hunted on it several years. Thank god I didn't bag anything while on it because it could barely haul me around. I built a snow plow for it and spent untold hours pushing all the snow in our neighborhood... which takes a LONG time with a 3 foot wide blade let me tell you. Rolling on floor laughing

I wish I had the thing today though. Someday it's going to be a collectors item.
!!

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #14 - 08/10/06 at 14:04:26

Wow! We still have one of these, looks exactly like your pic. Its sitting at my father in laws house. Im not sure he rides it much anymore. I did run it a few months ago. I remember trying to pack an Elk out with it 15 years ago. its still in great shape.
Wade

IP Logged
lurch
God Member

I Love Utah! MUST
RIDE

Salt Lake City
Reply #15 - 08/10/06 at 15:14:32

FA,
Better watch the old spelling or KAT might attack ya.
While she needs to have the wench, you used the old 4 wheeler to DEAR hunt? Rolling on floor laughing

I bagged a Dear on a 4 Wheeler once  Smiley and now she keeps me under the gun, if ya know what I mean Smiley

2009 Polaris RZR black with goodies but still under 50" rule
2009 Honda Recon
2004 Honda Rancher 350ES 4X4
2012 RZR 800 Sunset red wife's with power steering and under 50"
  IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #16 - 08/11/06 at 20:20:47

lurch wrote on 08/10/06 at 15:14:32:
FA,
Better watch the old spelling or KAT might attack ya.
While she needs to have the wench, you used the old 4 wheeler to DEAR hunt? Rolling on floor laughing

I bagged a Dear on a 4 Wheeler once Smiley and now she keeps me under the gun, if ya know what I mean Smiley

Yep I hunted Dear when I wuz yunger and bagged one too about the time I had that four wheeler.... BIG Mistake. Next time I'll go for one with a bigger rack. Then if it's as tough as the first one at least I'll have something to hang on the wall in the pool room Rolling on floor laughing

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
mcgeed
Post Ho
Big Ride 7

I love ATVs!

Syracuse, Utah
Reply #17 - 08/11/06 at 21:48:30

Forum Admin wrote on 08/11/06 at 20:20:47:
Yep I hunted Dear when I wuz yunger and bagged one too about the time I had that four wheeler.... BIG Mistake.  Next time I'll go for one with a bigger rack. Then if it's as tough as the first one at least I'll have something to hang on the wall in the pool room  Rolling on floor laughing

FA, you're BAD!  I mean you're bad to the bone!

--
--
WWW   IP Logged
KaTz
Former Member

I Love Utah!

utah
Reply #18 - 10/23/06 at 00:15:40

Lurch  and F A  -  Where was I when all of this was a Goin on !!! I need to look more Closely on this forum ,  Aug 10 hu, oh i had just got back from the poker run  and i still hadn't figured out how this site had worked yet !  But I DO NOW !     So F A  You need to bag one with a BIGGER RACK Hu ,   Well Now is the best time for  Finding one for It's the Huntin Season and there are a bunch of Dear out there with nice racks some with many points and tough to boot tooo....if you like racks -    I bagged a dud on a horse way back so - dear, dud, been there done that ......LOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print