Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
12/02/23 at 07:31:02

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crawford Pass Loop - Paunsaugunt Plateau (Read 2494 times)
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Crawford Pass Loop - Paunsaugunt Plateau
01/12/07 at 11:36:04

Paunsaugunt Plateau - Powell Ranger District

Crawford Pass Loop winds through mixed conifer and aspen forests along the top of the Paunsaugunt Plateau with views of brilliantly colored rock cliffs and hoodoos. At this viewpoint you stand hundreds of feet above the valley floor looking out to great vistas of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Crawford Pass Loop is 11 miles long and takes approximately 1 hour without stopping. However you should take time to explore several side trails to the Pink Cliff view points.

Elevation ranges from 8286 feet to 9120 feet.
Camping and Parking near: N37.60915 W112.26048
Trail Head and Parking near: N37.44208 W112.29887 8520 Ft
Pink Cliff View Point: N37.41836 W112.32341 9357 ft
Pink Cliff View Point 2: N37.41923 W112.32626 9216 Ft
Pink Cliff View Point 3: N37.41796 W112.32825 9108 Ft      
Pink Cliff View Point 3 N37.41814 W112.32956 9019 Ft      
GPS Data Format Deg.ddddd NAD83/WGS84

National Geographic Topo file: Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Garmin Mapsource File: Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Click the map for a larger more detailed version.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Re: Crawford Pass Loop - Paunsaugunt Plateau
Reply #1 - 01/13/07 at 12:23:08

This is a fun ride, and there is a great, don't-miss viewpoint of the Pink Cliffs in the area. As luck would have it, I just happen to have some video:  Cheesy

Pink Cliffs Viewpoint

This one is only 20 MB long, so it should be an easy download. I showed just a brief segment of this near the end of my earlier Paunsaugunt Odyssey video. The Green Day music in this one is from that earlier video.

I've attached a map showing where the viewpoint is. Notice that it is SW of FA's main loop in his map above. If you were riding from Crawford Pass, you would continue on past Mill Creek to get there, instead of going down Mill Creek as in FA's loop.

As we leave the viewpoint in this video, we are heading NE toward Crawford Pass. About 5-10 minutes later, there are a couple of switchbacks in the trail. Experienced riders will find them easy, but new riders may be challenged. This video shows the switchbacks, and the post has more info on their location:

Switchback Training

My earlier Paunsaugunt Odyssey video (shows lots more neat Pausaugunt stuff) is here:

Paunsaugunt Odyssey

PINKVIEW is at this location:

37.40932 N (37 deg, 24 min, 33.5 seconds N)
112.36113 W (112 deg, 21 min, 40.1 seconds W)

Note that we were doing an extended ride along the west and south sides of all these loops in the area, so that is what my track log is showing.
By the way, this is a great way to see a lot of sites in one day if you are short on time. You can ride up Badger Creek from Tropic Reservoir as shown in FA's Badger Creek Loop post, then stay on Paunsaugunt 03 heading south, instead of driving back down the canyons to the east as the loop maps show. Eventually, you will come to this viewpoint and Crawford Pass. From there, you can head back to camp at Topic Reservoir or Ruby's Inn.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
or Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
!!

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #2 - 01/13/07 at 13:31:54

Here is a zoomed-in version of my map showing the Pink Cliffs Viewpoint.

IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #3 - 01/13/07 at 22:33:32

Thanks GrizzlyGuy Smiley  You made me realize I had missed merging a few track logs into the Topo files I posted Sad I have several view points off the main Crawford Pass Loop that are a must see as you said. I have updated the files in the first post to now include them Smiley

I also have photos if I can find the disk they are on  Undecided

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
WWW   IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #4 - 01/15/07 at 19:10:03

Hey FA, give all of us ATVUtah members a few more years and we'll have every interesting trail or viewpoint in Utah mapped, waypointed, photographed and videoed. Now how cool would that be for trip planning or just day-dreaming?  Grin

IP Logged
taccom
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member

From the swamps of
LA to the Mountains
of UTAH

Marysvale,UT
Reply #5 - 01/16/07 at 21:14:40

Hey Gary, sound's like a new book to me.

Taccom: Always in Control
2007 Rincon with Duros and Rule 3000lb winch
2010 Rockwood Windjammer model #3001W
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
SPOT equipped in case of opps!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print