Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
03/01/24 at 22:51:18

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Poll closed Poll
Question: Should Utah lower the legal age to operate an OHV to 6 years old?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes  
  11 (39.2%)
No  
  17 (60.7%)

Total votes: 28
« Created by: ATVUtah on: 01/31/07 at 13:09:01 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should Utah lower the legal age to operate an OHV (Read 9862 times)
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Should Utah lower the legal age to operate an OHV
01/31/07 at 13:09:01

There is legislation being proposed in Utah to lower the legal age for riding ATVs/OHVs to 6 years old from 8 years old. What do you all think?

This Poll will be open for one month then closed and the vote results shown.

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
quadforce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I love ATVs!

Roy,Ut
Re: Should Utah lower the legal age to operate an
Reply #1 - 01/31/07 at 20:35:39

I think that  it would be foolish . Six is the perfect  time to be learning to ride a little electric four -wheeler .  I think that Utah would be the only state to do that , wouldn't they ?

Big Ride 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Yeah , I kinda like to ride .

Public Lands Equal Access Alliance
Dedicated to Responsible Outdoor Recreation and the Preservation and Expansion of Trail Access
  IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

South East Idaho
Reply #2 - 01/31/07 at 21:39:19

Give the kids a break and give them 3 years for their legs to grow. So at least they could stradle dads 500 even though they are still riding streaching to reach the break and troutle. Grin We all know they will not stay on the little machines when they see bigger. I thought baby sitters were human. Undecided
Here I go again being negitive Embarrassed Sorry

Polaris 570 RZR
If the women don't find me handsome, At least they will find me handy! Red Green
  IP Logged
Kawi650

Ride safe and
responsible!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reply #3 - 02/01/07 at 14:33:53

Admin--Thanks for putting the poll on!  It will be interesting to see how everybody feels about this item.  We've already seen the bill at the legislature for this year, and right now it  is being held by the House Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment Committee.  It may or may not get another hearing, depending on how the rest of the session goes.  So, thanks again.

Remember-- Protect Your Privilege, Stay on the Trail!
  IP Logged
Kawi650

Ride safe and
responsible!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reply #4 - 02/02/07 at 09:54:17

QF commented that Utah would be the only state with a 6 yr old minimum age.  That's kind of true.  At my last count, there were 26 states that had a minimum legal age to operate.  Of those 26, Utah was the lowest at 8 years old.  Most are in the 10-12 yr old range, and then only with supervision.

The other states don't list a minimum age, meaning that either non-licensed riders are not allowed or that anyone is allowed.  Without some more digging, I can't tell you which!

IP Logged
Desert Weasel
God Member
Sponsoring Member

I am only happy when
I am out riding in
the forest

Somewhere in Arizona
Reply #5 - 02/04/07 at 11:21:23

I think 8 y/o is a little young personally.  However, it also depends on the size of the child and his/her maturity.  If the child hs the size and maturiity to ride a say 50cc, and has proper adult supervision (preferabily the parent), they should be allowed to ride.  If they do allow a 6 y/o to ride there should be some guidelines as to what they can ride, require a ATV safety class, and require saftey equipnent (ie helmet, knee and elbow pads, etc).  I am concerned that if we allow them to ride and the safety and adult supervision is not in place, it is an accident waiting to happen.  I have seen some atv's have a teather line that will kill an engine if some one is walking behind them.  This could be one of the requirements also.

Bottom line is how can we allow a child to ride a atv at that age and make it fair for all the children that want to ride at that age w/o having them getting seriously hurt.   Undecided  

I am not against 6 y/o riding ATV's, however, there are some concerns I have that should be addressed before they are allowed an ATV of any size.  As far as I know, the smallest ATV I have seen is a 50cc.  Do they make them any smaller or electric?  Undecided

Lt. Tfardkcab

"Life should not be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in
an attractive and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in sideways, throughly used
up, totaly worn out, and screaming
WOO -- HOO WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!"
  IP Logged
Big_Ben
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

I love ATVs!

on the road
Reply #6 - 02/04/07 at 15:45:38

Personally I think 8 is to young. I think 10 would be realistic. Remember each one of those kids that get hurt become a statistic, and that affects us all.

IP Logged
Bulldog ATV

I love to ride!

Marysvale, Utah
Reply #7 - 02/04/07 at 18:01:26

I think I can speak intelligently on this subject,  I have an 9 year old, and a 7 year old... I also teach ATV safety courses for 8-15 year olds...    

We got the Kid's ATV Last Christmas,  it has been a real challenge to get them up to speed, and at that time, our 6 year old lacked many critical thinking skills required to safely operate the ATV.. things like, obstacle avoidance, and the whole idea of abrupt stops and momentum,  all pose challenges for kids 8 and under.  

As I teach the classes, I see kids of all skills, occasionally I see an 8 year old who is totally amazing and out-rides the 10-12 year olds.. but more often than not, I see 8 year olds who are still learning the critical thinking skills that are needed to ride safely.   I often struggle in getting 8 year olds to understand the reasonings behind safe riding.. i.e. they don't understand why it's important to shift your weight... the thought process is just no fully developed....  In my opionon, we are asking to completely undo the posative trend that the Utah OHV education program has had on our young riders.   If we lower the age, we are all going to suffer from governmental/agency scrutiny-due to the ugly trend of ATV accidents in the 6-10 year age bracket...

Darin

Polaris RZR and Honda Rubicon...
WWW   IP Logged
quadforce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I love ATVs!

Roy,Ut
Reply #8 - 02/04/07 at 19:28:47

When Megan took her test she was eight .  I had bought her a "youth quad " that she was able to handle easily . It didn't have a ton of power and was no race model but she was able to get it around pretty well . When we got to the test area all the other kids were riding their  dads machines . Nine year olds on 500 ' s etc . There was not one other kid on a kid quad . So if six year olds can ride , will they be on 500cc machines too ? The biggest issue that I see when I ride is kids not wearing helmets . I see it  on almost every ride . Parental involvement is critical on this issue .  Yes , they make electric atv's and my kids  actually rode that first . It's a good way for them to start out  without getting into too much trouble .

Dedicated to Responsible Outdoor Recreation and the Preservation and Expansion of Trail Access
  IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

South East Idaho
Reply #9 - 02/04/07 at 20:07:12

Bulldog ATV wrote on 02/04/07 at 18:01:26:
I think I can speak intelligently on this subject, I have an 9 year old, and a 7 year old... I also teach ATV safety courses for 8-15 year olds...

We got the Kid's ATV Last Christmas, it has been a real challenge to get them up to speed, and at that time, our 6 year old lacked many critical thinking skills required to safely operate the ATV.. things like, obstacle avoidance, and the whole idea of abrupt stops and momentum, all pose challenges for kids 8 and under.

As I teach the classes, I see kids of all skills, occasionally I see an 8 year old who is totally amazing and out-rides the 10-12 year olds.. but more often than not, I see 8 year olds who are still learning the critical thinking skills that are needed to ride safely. I often struggle in getting 8 year olds to understand the reasonings behind safe riding.. i.e. they don't understand why it's important to shift your weight... the thought process is just no fully developed.... In my opionon, we are asking to completely undo the posative trend that the Utah OHV education program has had on our young riders. If we lower the age, we are all going to suffer from governmental/agency scrutiny-due to the ugly trend of ATV accidents in the 6-10 year age bracket...

Darin

It gets worse......
Concider the 13-17 year bracket
that's when the trails and machines realy take a hit.

Polaris 570 RZR
If the women don't find me handsome, At least they will find me handy! Red Green
  IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #10 - 02/05/07 at 11:14:29

Off topic replies have been moved to Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
TwinTop
God Member
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride

Do it with a Twin

Davis County, Northern Utah
Reply #11 - 02/06/07 at 13:44:53

FA,

I didn't mean to post off topic,  What I was trying to say with that post is go ahead and lower the age restriction and put the responsibility of who rides on the parent.  Common sence is something each of us should find if we haven't got it now.  

Let's all take personal responsibility for our actions and not rely on the government to tell us when we are old enough to ride.  As mentioned earlier kid mature at different rates and some 5 or 6 year olds can ride better than teenagers.

Let's make decisions that are appropriate for our children and keep the kids that can't step on the brake off the big quads and on the correct sized quad.

Ok, Ok I've gone on long enough but I just think we all need to step up and be accountable for our own actions, and that includes who we let drive our quads.

TT

2013 Outlander 800, 2004 Twin Peak 700, 2003 Kodiak 400, 2003 Ozark 250
  IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #12 - 02/06/07 at 13:51:49

TwinTop wrote on 02/06/07 at 13:44:53:
FA,

I didn't mean to post off topic, What I was trying to say with that post is go ahead and lower the age restriction and put the responsibility of who rides on the parent. Common sense is something each of us should find if we haven't got it now.

Let's all take personal responsibility for our actions and not rely on the government to tell us when we are old enough to ride. As mentioned earlier kid mature at different rates and some 5 or 6 year olds can ride better than teenagers.

Let's make decisions that are appropriate for our children and keep the kids that can't step on the brake off the big quads and on the correct sized quad.

Ok, Ok I've gone on long enough but I just think we all need to step up and be accountable for our own actions, and that includes who we let drive our quads.

TT

It was not so much that I felt the post was off topic. I felt the quote and comments about it deserved it's own tread because it seems that common sense is as Freddy said dead Sad

If it is we only have ourselves to blame for killing it.

We should all work harder to teach it to our children!
Most people believe in some form of resurrection, so lets bring "Common Sense" back to life Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
TwinTop
God Member
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride

Do it with a Twin

Reply #13 - 02/06/07 at 13:53:42

AMEN

TT

IP Logged
taccom
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member

From the swamps of
LA to the Mountains
of UTAH

Marysvale,UT
Reply #14 - 02/06/07 at 15:07:22

Our experience here in Louisiana is somewhat different than what ya'll have in Utah.  Our State does not have a minimum riding age and that seems to work out fine when the young child is taught to ride a youth quad.  Where we have run into trouble is youths riding large bore quads without helmets and with multiple passengers.  There is also the quad as a "baby sitter" issue.  Legal restrictions while good spirited, penalize those who are responsible and protect those who aren't.  This issue should be left to parents descretion in my opinion.  I know that I was driving a mini-bike at the age of 4 and was plowing the fields at age 6 on a tractor.  I was also driving pick up trucks at age 6.  But this was a result of how and where I grew up.  Its obvious that my experience is not the majority's experience, but should I have been limited or should others have been prevented.

There's no real good answer to this question, so I'd have to side with less government more freedom and a dependance on parents to make the proper decisions and handle appropriate training.

Taccom: Always in Control
2007 Rincon with Duros and Rule 3000lb winch
2010 Rockwood Windjammer model #3001W
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
SPOT equipped in case of opps!
  IP Logged
Kawi650

Ride safe and
responsible!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reply #15 - 02/07/07 at 13:10:07

I just got back from the Legislative hearing on the bill that would lower the miniumum OHV operating age in Utah to 6 years old.  A substitute bill was introduced that drops the age to 6, but requires adult supervision and requires riders to be on an age appropriate ATV per the manufacturer's recommendation to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.  Without going into a great deal of detail, for 6 year olds that would be an ATV with a governed speed not to exceed 10 MPH and an ungoverned speed not to exceed 15 mph.  The bill will now go to the House Floor for debate and action.  It still needs to clear the Senate process as well.

IP Logged
quadforce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I love ATVs!

Roy,Ut
Reply #16 - 02/07/07 at 19:43:37

I have to say that I'm disappointed . There are a lot of things that I would like to see politicians , land managers and ourselves working on  but this isn't one of them .  As was stated , every accident becomes a statistic . The news will make a graphic case of every six year old who gets hurt or killed . When we were on the Big Ride and were coming out  of Casto canyon what did we see ? Dad on his quad with a year  old baby . Their group thought it was "cute " and  were having a great time with it , and you guessed it , no helmets . When I'm on Trail  Patrol  we talk to people about this on every ride . Yes, common sense is dead for many and Freddy was spot on . If parents in general  had any common sense  we wouldn't need most of the laws we have today . It's unfortunate but I feel we need some laws to protect  kids that have not been taught any better

IP Logged
TwinTop
God Member
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride

Do it with a Twin

Reply #17 - 02/07/07 at 21:59:09

QF,

No matter what is done somepeople will still ride without helmets on themselves or their kids.  If the kids are riding without helmets give them a ticket and their parent.  Rather than tell someone they can't ride let's find a way they can ride when they are ready.  

As for riding age appropriate quads that is another issue I have a hard time with.  The quad shoud fit the rider (or the rider should fit the quad).  When my boys were 12 years old they were about 5' 10" tall and riding a quad that is age appropriate would have them on a machine they couldn't even fit on.  

soap box Here we go again... Take responsibility for our own actions and keep the government for micro managing our lives.  No matter what laws are passed those that would let their small child ride dad's quad without a helmet are going to do it anyway.  If we pass any laws lets pass one to make the parent responsible for the actions of those under their supervision.  soap box

I'll step down for now.

TT

IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #18 - 02/07/07 at 22:32:45

It was pointed out to me today that as Utah's legislature considers lowering the age for ATV riders, Oregon is holding legislative hearings to raise their minimum age to 12 because of accidents and fatalities with young ATV operators.

WWW   IP Logged
lang

So many trails, so
little time.

Cedar City, UT
Reply #19 - 02/13/07 at 16:55:30

Amen Twintop! I appreciate people like you who will take personal responsibility for their childrens actions as well as your own. Why do people want the government to make laws to regulate what they should be regulating themselves? I know some people don't use good judgement, but that is one of the rights we have as Americans. To make our own decisions.

I am a parent of one boy who is now 1 1/2 yrs old and I have one more boy on the way. I am not ashamed to say that I've held him on my lap on the four-wheeler and putted around camp...and yes, I thought it was cute. He loves it just like his dad does. He pulled the fuel overflow hose up into his mouth like a straw. No I didn't let him drink the gas, or the fumes, but its just funny, and its something I'll never forget. He fell asleep quickly because of the vibration and that came in handy when it was nap time.

Anyway the point I'm making is that it should be my decision to do that if I want. I have to make a responsible decision and accept any concequences from my actions. I would never do anything I felt would put him in harms way, but accidents happen. I am confident in my capabilities on a ATV, otherwise I wouldn't take my son on it.

I don't want to see Utah end up like Oregon in any way. I'll vote for a lower age requirement, but that doesn't mean my boys will be riding when their six either. But at least I'll be able to make the decision for my family.

IP Logged
Kawi650

Ride safe and
responsible!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reply #20 - 02/16/07 at 11:21:14

HB 237 (the Utah bill we've been discussing) is on the House Floor calendar today.  We'll see how it goes.  It still has some fight ahead of it as it has to clear the Senate process too, and all before Feb 28 at midnight.  I'll keep you informed if it passes.   The bill has been ammended a couple of times and will be again to clear up some confusion with other legislation from this session.  

IP Logged
Lime Cat
Newbies
Former Member

We Findzz Great
Trails!!

Reply #21 - 02/18/07 at 13:31:22

I would like to express my opinion on this bill which would allow the age of operating an OHV to 6 years of age.  I am strongly in favor of it.  It is my belief as a parent and now grandparent that the younger you begin to teach children responsibility and safety the better they listen.  Younger children are more likely to listen to what their parents are trying to teach them concerning their safety than older children and teenagers.  We started our children on ATV's at a young age (before there were rules on how to be good parents by not allowing them to ride).  Both of our children, now ages 26 & 24, have never had any serious injuries on an ATV.  My husband and I attribute that to good supervision at a very young age.  

If we keep passing laws to prohibit children to experience wholesome activities because they might get hurt aren't we increasing the chances of boredom which, in my opinion, often leads to undesirable behavior such as substance abuse, gang activities, sexual activity etc.  Our family has a common love of the sport of ATV riding.  It has been at the core of our relationship.  When do we quit trying to put everyone young and old into a glass bubble?  Accidents happen no matter how careful you are be it falling off a ladder, a roof (my uncle was paralyzed that way), crossing the street.  Should we just lock our kids in a padded cell where they can't hurt themselves?  Or should we teach them to enjoy and embrace life and teach them how to do it as safely as possible.  Maybe we should outlaw little league football and baseball and basketball.  My son got hurt a lot worse playing those sports than he ever has on an ATV.....wait a minute, he never has gotten hurt on an ATV but has a finger that is slightly disfigured from football, hurt his ankle in basketball, got a concussion from baseball and scars from stitches from learning to walk at 9 months.....maybe I should have made him wait until he was 8 to try to walk!

IP Logged
quadforce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I love ATVs!

Roy,Ut
Reply #22 - 02/18/07 at 14:15:06

It's been interesting  for me to read the comments on  this thread . I understand , agree and go along with most of what everyone is saying with several  exceptions .  I'd like to add that I too , hate government interference in my life and in the life of my family . The fact is that many people use quads for " babysitters " .  It's an easy thing to do . Many parents do it . I know of several  kids who have been seriously hurt on  ohvs  and the first thing out of the parents mouth is "  that  thing almost killed my kid ! "  They never say " I  should of taught them to use it ", or " they should of taken off the flip flops, put on some shoes  and put on a helmet " . Or how about " I should have stayed and supervised them . " The quad gets blamed for the whole problem . As long as quads get blamed for the problem then it's  all our problems too . How ? It's ammunition for those who hate ohvs . They'll use it to keep closing riding areas . Now it affects me and everyone else  that rides .  If all parents cared enough to get involved  then we wouldn't have a problem but that isn't the way it is .

IP Logged
TwinTop
God Member
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride

Do it with a Twin

Reply #23 - 02/18/07 at 14:41:32

quadforce wrote on 02/18/07 at 14:15:06:
As long as quads get blamed for the problem then it's  all our problems too . How ? It's ammunition for those who hate ohvs . They'll use it to keep closing riding areas . Now it affects me and everyone else  that rides .  If all parents cared enough to get involved  then we wouldn't have a problem but that isn't the way it is .

QF.

I agree it is all our problem.   soap box But until those that own the quads are held accountable (parents), then no mater what law is passed it wont matter.  So if the legislature needs a law to pass make it an accountability law.  Those that own the quad must be accountable for it.

Have I let other ride my quads?  Yes.  But noone rides without a helmet and if they are younger they don't ride without supervision.  Am I an old stick in the mud?  I don't care, we have fun and come back safe.

Accidents will happen, but if the right protection is worn and if the riding skill matches the area ridden it will cause less injury.

Quads don't cause accidents PEOPLE DO.  soap box

TT

IP Logged
Walkequad
Aristocrat

I Love Riding!

Clinton Utah
Reply #24 - 02/18/07 at 16:24:50

I have to say changing the laws for me wood be good.  I will be honest my son is four years old and rides a little kawi 50 been riding about a year.  He destroyed the little battery powered one by 3 and a half.  Burned out the motor and ate holes in the tires.  I went with the kawi for one reason.  It has to be pull started so he can't  just hop on and take off.  It also has a rope on the back so you can kill it by pulling it.  My daugter has been riding since about 5 years old.  All I wish is I could get her in a safety class but I can't till she is 8.  Then she would be legal to ride her 50 four wheeler.

2015 Chevolet Silverado 3500 Duramax
2016 Heartland Sundance 29BH
2016 Polaris RZR Trail 900
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring
2014 Honda Recon
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500

IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

South East Idaho
Reply #25 - 02/18/07 at 19:38:38

TwinTop wrote on 02/18/07 at 14:41:32:
quadforce wrote on 02/18/07 at 14:15:06:
As long as quads get blamed for the problem then it's all our problems too . How ? It's ammunition for those who hate ohvs . They'll use it to keep closing riding areas . Now it affects me and everyone else that rides . If all parents cared enough to get involved then we wouldn't have a problem but that isn't the way it is .

QF.

I agree it is all our problem. soap box But until those that own the quads are held accountable (parents), then no mater what law is passed it wont matter. So if the legislature needs a law to pass make it an accountability law. Those that own the quad must be accountable for it.

Have I let other ride my quads? Yes. But noone rides without a helmet and if they are younger they don't ride without supervision. Am I an old stick in the mud? I don't care, we have fun and come back safe.

Accidents will happen, but if the right protection is worn and if the riding skill matches the area ridden it will cause less injury.

Quads don't cause accidents PEOPLE DO. soap box

TT

My hat is off to you out there that are responcible and bringing there kids up right in the world of this sport.
That said, I got a sticker at the training I attended two weeks ago. It is a band aid that says "stupid hurts" promoted by Honda.

Polaris 570 RZR
  IP Logged
DirtQuad
Aristocrat

Always time to ride.

Farmington, UT
Reply #26 - 02/19/07 at 10:15:51

TT,
  Just want to say I agree.  And I've seen both sides.  I've seen parents doing great things with their little kidos and quads, and I've seen some parents not too careful about what was going on.  I think bringing these issues up on posts like this is a plus in helping the ATVers know what needs to be done.

2016 Can Am Outlander Max XT 650
2010 Can Am Outlander XT 800
04 Chev Duramax Diesel Club
Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
  IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #27 - 02/19/07 at 13:13:44

My grandson is goign to be 6 in a few weeks. I bought him a quad for Christmas. I have no problem wih it. He does not ride unless with an adult. He loves putting on all the safety gear and we make a big deal about it. There are several 10 to 14 year olds who ride quads up and down the street with no safeety equipment, at night with no lights, on the street and ride double all the time. Age has nothing to do with intelligence or responsibility. My wife has even told my grandson to keep an eye on me. I wonder what she meant by that? I have had enough with government interfering in my life. If I want to be stupid, that's my decision. If all the stupid, ignorant, mean and demented people kill themselves off, it will help the breeding stock. That is simply the way of nature.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
Kawi650

Ride safe and
responsible!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reply #28 - 02/19/07 at 16:10:29

About an hour ago, HB 237 was defeated on the floor of the Utah House of Representatives by a tied vote of 37-37, with one not voting or absent.

This vote probably means the issue is dead for this session.  A motion to reconsider could be made, but at this late stage in the session, it is highly unlikely that the bill could be revived and still complete the process of Senate hearings and floor action.  If you are interested in the voting record or the full text of the ammended bill, you can visit the Utah Legislature homepage at Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
and follow the links to 2007 legislation and HB 237

Fred

IP Logged
Kawi650

Ride safe and
responsible!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reply #29 - 02/20/07 at 15:20:04

HB 237 was recalled today to the House floor for reconsideration.  THis time the bill passed 40 yeas, 29 nays, and 6 absent or not voting.  Now the bill goes to the Senate.

IP Logged
lang

So many trails, so
little time.

Cedar City, UT
Reply #30 - 02/21/07 at 11:08:31

Maybe someone here can tell me...How long would it take for this bill to be in effect, assuming it passes? You know, is this something that could be in effect this year sometime? Or would it be several years?

Maybe this topic deserves it's own thread.

IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #31 - 02/22/07 at 09:17:34

lang wrote on 02/21/07 at 11:08:31:
Maybe someone here can tell me...How long would it take for this bill to be in effect, assuming it passes? You know, is this something that could be in effect this year sometime? Or would it be several years?

Maybe this topic deserves it's own thread.

I believe the usual process is once a bill has been passed it takes effect on June 1st or July 1st of the same year unless there is a provision to delay it's implementation. I cant remember exactly which month.

WWW   IP Logged
lang

So many trails, so
little time.

Cedar City, UT
Reply #32 - 02/22/07 at 12:07:15

Is that after it passes the Senate? Or after it passes the Senate are there more steps?

Also, since it just passed the State Legislature, will the Senate get to it any time soon or is it going to take a while before they look at it?

IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #33 - 02/22/07 at 14:50:12

H.B. 237 Substitute
   Requirements for Off-highway Vehicles -- Tilton, A.
     Senate Floor Sponsor: Peterson, D.
Passed the Utah House of Representatives on 2/20/2007 with a vote of 40 to 29 with 6 absent or not voting. You can see how your Representative voted here; Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

The bill was introduced to the Utah Senate today 2/22/2007
Last Location: Senate Rules Committee.

You can follow its status and progress as well as listen to the recording of the debates here: Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

WWW   IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #34 - 03/01/07 at 08:33:44

H.B. 237 Substitute Failed to Pass in the 2007 Utah State Legislature.

It passed the House on it's 3rd reading.
Failed to pass the Senate.
Defeated bills are returned to the House Rules Committee.

WWW   IP Logged
Kawi650

Ride safe and
responsible!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reply #35 - 03/01/07 at 09:05:41

At midnight last night the 2007 Utah Legislature came to a close.  HB237 dealing with dropping the minimum age to 6 for operation of an off-highway vehicle died in the process.  The bill had been on the Senate reading calendar since the afternoon of Feb 27, but did not make it to the Senate floor for consideration.

Thanks to all who expressed opinions on the bill

IP Logged
DrewNCorinn

I Love My Ranger!

Pleasant Grove, Utah
Reply #36 - 05/03/07 at 14:00:29

I hope it comes up again next year. My 5 year old is too small this year... we ride her little governed 90cc in the neighbors yard (they have a little track) all the time but I would not let her on a trail as she gets confused if distracted and panics rather than pulling the brake. She can steer it just fine. She is not good with the brakes but I bled the brakes a bit and now she can pull the lever at least... My 8 year old on the other hand has been waiting anxiously to  get her "license" for a year and a half. She would be fine on the trails.

Dre

2006 Ranger XP Browning Edition
2005 Suzuki King Quad 700
2-2006 Chinese Mini ATVs for the Girls to go in the Ranger Bed!
2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD D/A
2003 Cardinal 31BHLE 5ver
1998 Daughter
2002 Daughter
1972 Stunner Of A Wife
1970 Fat Old Me...
DrewNCorinn   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print