Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
10/17/19 at 08:01:18

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Powering HC-96 from ATV Battery (Read 24384 times)
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Re: Powering HC-96 from ATV Battery
Reply #50 - 03/02/07 at 14:51:12

Vulcan: All I've got to say is this:

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

OK, OK, one more thing: Can I be the first one to ride your Raptor up the 05? It's insured, right? Smiley

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #51 - 03/02/07 at 18:27:33

I was just going to rub it in a little that my 2nd 96 has shipped, but now that seems rather drool. Great to hear from you Vulcan, we have missed you. Now that the amenities are over, I hate you. Angry Do you need a groundskeeper or maybe a butler, or a driver, or anything at all. First GG talks about moving to Utah, now you are doing it, I'm going to be the only sane person left ourside the state.

help me

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #52 - 03/02/07 at 20:37:47

Yeah Pa Pa Jack, doesn't that guy just kill you? Hey, what's with all the talk of being Vulcan's butler, I thought you were on your way out to help me shovel some of this snow?  Grin

I got a call this afternoon from my buddy over at the Pentagon, and he said he had some free time on one of his satellites. So I told him I'd send him a bottle of Tequila if he could fly by Vulcan's spread for a few pics.   Smiley Roll Eyes

You can see his trees a little better in this one:

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

And sure enough, the creek shows up mighty fine in this one:

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

But I like this one the best. It shows Vulcan's playground looking east:

If you look real close, you can almost see FA and RedMan perched up on that peak off to the left.  Grin

IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #53 - 03/02/07 at 20:41:03

Pa Pa Jack I am not moving right now just buying the land and water rights before all the Ca people move in. See the land is jumping because Ca has super high prices on land so I wanted to get my share before they take all the good stuff. You can go mow the grass anytime you want and remove the stiff little bushes all over the place. I have no clue what they call them things but they work well for cleaning pot and pans  Rolling on floor laughing
I seen the so called trees to 10 to 15 ft tall what a joke the ones here are will over 100 ft tall and some over 200 ft tall but Ca has them real big one redwood trees they get over 300 ft tall and they say wooded lot with huge trees  Rolling on floor laughing
I will always have a house here in Fl that is where I have been all my life.

IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #54 - 03/02/07 at 20:47:14

Dang GG them pictures are so close to the land it is not even funny. I could see my raptor and grizzly almost if they were not parked under the trees  Rolling on floor laughing
In the picture you can see the trails and roads that is wild Smiley I sure hope you did not scare the dear away  Smiley

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #55 - 03/02/07 at 21:52:11

Well, I checked it out on Google Earth and I  entered the coordinates in my homemade ICBM. I am not even slightly jealsous. Wink Wink But I cannot be resonsible if a match accidently lights the fuse. Of course it has been raining and I have to wait for it to dry.

When I win the Powerball, I am going to buy all the land around you and be your neighbor. A worse fate I cannot bestow on another human being. Just make sure to have coffee when I come over.  Smiley

We will find Osama in those mountains I bet. carrying flag

How are you going to move that big pin that GG stuck in your front yard?

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #56 - 03/03/07 at 07:46:25

Hey Pa Pa Jack if I get you some real good GPS numbers could you inter them into your homemade ICBM and take that huge pin out of my yard GG had that puppy stuck in the ground real deep and I can't seem to move it. I will have coffee with eggs and toast ready and waiting.
We can then go hunting for the towel head Osama with the 50 cal also good luck buying the land around me to the east is all the forest land and I don't think the state of Utah is going to give that up without a fight   carrying flag
O and don't worry about the huge hole you will leave with the ICBM I can just install some concrete and make a swimming pool  Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #57 - 03/03/07 at 09:35:15

The eggs and toast sealed the deal. GG, your in trouble. Now if only this danged fuse would dry. Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #58 - 03/05/07 at 16:30:56

We were kicking around the idea of using a Pelican case to carry all the video gear safe and secure while we ride around. But those things are airtight so they might get a little hot inside with all the electronics generating heat. Electronics don't like to run in hot environments. RedGrizz came up with some creative Pelican Case cooling solutions, but there are other options.

I personally want to be able to carry all the gear on my back when skiing, so a backpack type solution would be ideal for me. While Googling for this stuff I discovered that there is a whole species of animal known as "Photo Backpacks".  Go figure, I guess you'd have to be a real photographer to have known that.  Grin

Here is a gigantic, multi-page listing of all shapes/sizes of these Photo Backpacks over at Adorama:

And here are a couple specific ones just to give you an idea of what they are:

All-Weather (Water Resistant)

Completely Water Proof

The whole back zips down on these things so that you can get at everything inside, and all the spaces are custom configurable via those movable dividers you see in the picture. I'm thinking that maybe I get one the right size, then buy just the foam for a Pelican case and use that to make fully-padded locations for the gear.

I already made cardboard cutouts for 2 HC-96's (with batteries attached), 2 Sony 12V adapters, 2 of the 2.4 GHz receivers like Pa Pa Jack's, the PowerPole 12V splitter, and one of my 2400 mAh batteries (for skiing only, I'd power from the ATV battery when riding). I'm thinking I can get all that stuff and a bit more into a 11" x 15.5" space, and that allows for plenty of foam in between the pieces. So one of those photo backpacks looks like it would work fine for me.

Of course if you have no interest in being portable with all this stuff, then an ATV box or bag might be the best bet for you.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd share the info for anyone interested in all this craziness.

IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #59 - 03/05/07 at 20:02:17

You guys are amazing.   How do you find this stuff.
My brain is getting fried  Smiley Smileytrying to decide which way to go.
This Idea looks good too GG
Im not sure about the weight on your back on all day rides but I like the cooling aspect and mobility.
On your ski adventures it looks perfect.

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #60 - 03/05/07 at 21:39:42

RedGrizz wrote on 03/05/07 at 20:02:17:
You guys are amazing.   How do you find this stuff.
My brain is getting fried

Get a load of this one, RG. I happened to mention to the wife that I had discovered this whole new species of things known as "Photo Backpacks". She gives me the ole  Roll Eyes and says that she *has one*. Huh? I say. You have one of these things? She says sure, and how come I didn't already know that, since we've been married since Y2K?

Naturally, I had no answer to that one, and slunk off in silence.  Embarrassed

So later, when the coast seemed clear, I asked her where it was. 2 minutes after she had this thing extracted from some dark corner of a long forgotten closet... I had her contents (photo stuff like lenses, filters, film cannisters, and other gadgets and doo-dads) tucked neatly into an old Amazon box. And 5 minutes later I had her Panasonic, my HC-96, a 2400 mAh SLA battery, a PowerPole 4-way splitter, and all the asundry helmet cam cable-phranalia tucked inside this little gem.  Smiley

Hers is just a little Tarmac (Tamarac?), but it has just enough room for 2-cam skiing. My season pass is clipped on the outside, the spare video recorder batteries and tapes are in the nifty top pocket, and I'm all set to roll. The zipper allows me to bring out the two helmet cam cables along the bottom, which is just what I want, as one will be going down to my right boot (boot cam). And I was even able to run the portable monitor cable out through the top so I can check my helmet cam shot while riding the lift or even while skiing along. Smiley

Oh yeah, as soon as my back stops aching from all the snow shovelling, it is going to be a glorious ski day.   Smiley

IP Logged
quadtrek
Newbies

Utah, here we
come!!!

Quebec, Canada
Reply #61 - 03/07/07 at 18:50:36

GrizzlyGuy wrote on 02/25/07 at 16:53:58:

But what I think would be even better is to take a helmet cam just like we already have (560 or 580 line) and feed it into the 2.4 GHz transmitter. Video is video, that would work fine as far as the radio part goes, and you'd still have full resolution.

GG, Papa J, RedG, here's something I saw that I thought might interest you guys:

They have this 2.4 Mhz transmitter for audio and video. Works on 12V, not too expensive...Think it would work?

Also, A friend of mine told me about a helmet cam that would use bluetooth technology to transmit from camera to camcorder. I shall investigate that...

quadtrek.net A ten month ATV adventure
A couple of Sportsman 800 X2s
Custom built trailer-tent
Tons O goodies added
WWW   IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #62 - 03/07/07 at 19:55:10

quadtrek wrote on 03/07/07 at 18:50:36:
GG, Papa J, RedG, here's something I saw that I thought might interest you guys:

They have this 2.4 Mhz transmitter for audio and video. Works on 12V, not too expensive...Think it would work?

Holy Wireless Wonders, Quadtrek! Yeah, I think those would work, especially if you have a fear of soldering irons. I need to study this a bit more, but here's my first impression: if you just want to buy something and be done with it, this is probably your best bet in terms of wireless video.

But if you don't mind a wee bit of soldering, the RC airplane video radios that Pa Pa Jack found might be a bit better in terms of small size and being able to mount the transmitter right on your helmet. So to each his own, but what a cool new source for gadgetry and gimmicks!  Smiley

Also, A friend of mine told me about a helmet cam that would use bluetooth technology to transmit from camera to camcorder.

I shall investigate that...

Oh my gosh, my heart palpatates with anticipation. If you can score a source for a bluetooth wireless video connection, you can send your brother-in-law to the back of the bus and take the ATV Gadgetry Geek throne for yourself.   Cool

But hey, don't spend TOO much time on this stuff. Don't you have some packing to do? 10 months is a long time on the trail and you can't exactly count on bluetooth-ed beasts to hunt down and skin-out all your food. Grin

IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #63 - 03/07/07 at 20:33:36

quadtrek
Thanks for that info.
Looks like another good option.
Grizzlyguy
How bout a pic of the camera pack with your gear?????

decisions.....decisions

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #64 - 03/08/07 at 01:26:42

I think I'll go with a Kodak Browinie and black and white film. dig out the old developing equipment and go primitive.

Thanks for another good link QT. The bluetooth idea really appeals to my son who is into mountain biking and anything Mac. He's looking at Airport compatable possibilities.

We may have to open our own Radio Shack type operation just to stock up on all these gadgets and gizmos.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
quadtrek
Newbies

Utah, here we
come!!!

Quebec, Canada
Reply #65 - 03/08/07 at 17:48:19

Also, A friend of mine told me about a helmet cam that would use bluetooth technology to transmit from camera to camcorder. I shall investigate that...

OK guys, Here's the deal. Samsung should have a bluetooth wireless helmet cam available in a couple of months. According to my top secret source, Wink it should be on the shelves in time for video season.

Just thought I'd stirr things up a little more Rolling on floor laughing

quadtrek.net A ten month ATV adventure
A couple of Sportsman 800 X2s
Custom built trailer-tent
Tons O goodies added
WWW   IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #66 - 03/08/07 at 23:24:38

RedGrizz wrote on 03/07/07 at 20:33:36:
How bout a pic of the camera pack with your gear?????

Sure thing, RedGrizz. That's the least I could do for the guy who hurled a car off a cliff just to keep us all entertained with a video of the momentous event.   Smiley

Here is the antique Tamrac 'Photo Backpack' (previously unknown species) that my wife fessed up to having tucked away in the corner of a long forgotten closet, It is loaded up with all my video gear and ready for the long hard slog from the parking lot to the gondola. Paiute Trail map shown for size comparison, and my season pass attached and shown on the side is the size of a credit card:

Here it is with the top open, showing the two video recorders. The wife's Panasonic is on the right, and my HC-96 in on the left. The HC-96 is naturally safely wrapped in a chunk of pipe wrap foam for extra padding. That foam protected her Panasonic from 633 miles of Utah riding last season (in my fender bag), so I figure it is good enough for my HC-96. Her non-LANC Panasonic deserves no extra padding, cause it has no LANC, so it is smooshed off to the side.

I'm not going to use LANC at all for skiing. I have my wiring setup so that I have enough room to pull each recorder out enough to open the LCD, start it recording, and shove it back in as you see it there. Kind of a hassle, but until I have that 2nd HC-96, I don't want to tempt myself to throw her recorder down the side of the ski hill because of the hassle difference. Wink

The nifty field monitor that FA/RedMan found for us is sitting there on the open top. Its cable is connected to a RCA Y connector hooked into my boot cam line. The cable will feed out the top like shown, and I'll probably shove the monitor in my ski jacket's pocket. So I'll be able to check my boot cam's shot while on the lift, or maybe even while skiing along and not paying any attention at all to who or what I'm about to hit at a high rate of speed (wouldn't be skiing without high rates of speed).

The modern and preferred 'photo backpacks' allow the whole back (front?) to open so that you can get at everything easy, instead of via this top-load configuration. But beggars can't be choosers, right? Notice that both recorders are being powered by their own batteries. That is because...

Gosh dog, are there a lot of wires involved in Helmet Camming or what?!? Thank goodness we have Pa Pa Jack, who has shown  us the way to video radios meant only for use in RC aircraft, but naturally hacked-up and re-wired for our own uses (future improvement for my mess shown here). All of this is in the lower zipered pocket, by the way. What a mess.

So here's another picture of the mess, this time with the 3 key do-hickeys hanging out:

On the right is the cable for my boot cam. I'm using my old helmet cam (no mic in-line) with my wife's old Panasonic for that one. On the left is the cable for my newer helmet cam (with built-in mic) that will be on my head and recorded by the HC-96. In the middle is my external mic.

So, I'll have two video inputs and two audio inputs all being recorded at once. No audio at all on the boot cam recording (other than the Panasonic's built-in mic), as both wired mics (helmet cam + external) are going to the HC-96. I figure that will make editing easier, as I can swing the balance between left/right audio channel as needed, all on the same tape.

When I get to the ski hill, I suspect that all three cables will be coming out the right corner of this pocket. Or maybe I'll leave the external mic in the pack because I'll be too lazy to deal with yet another wire. Wink

The larger red thing in the picture is a small 4-way PowerPole splitter. It receives 12V in from my battery on one leg, and outputs the following:

12V to helmet cam 1
12V to helmet cam 2
12V to external mic

As it turns out, I have a Y splitter from the helmet cam guys in the circuit, so I actually have one of the 4 "red" ports open to power something else.

My 2400 mAh battery is way in the back of that wire-filled pocket, so here is a shot of the battery placed front and center:

No need for an on/off switch. I just leave the PowerPole from the battery out of the splitter, and plug it in when I'm ready to go. That battery should be good for a full day of skiing, and I only ski for a few hours when the snow is perfect first thing in the morning, so no worries.

Here is a shot of the boot cam, with its pigtail cable/connector that will connect to the Panasonic's cable from the pack when I get to the top of Mt. Pluto (which is one gondola ride and two lift rides from the parking lot). Both of these helmet cams will actually stay in the pack until I get up top, no use losing one on the walk in:

Here is the helmet and its cam, with the Soaring Society of America (sailplanes) sticker prominently displayed:

And from the other side with the United States Hang Gliding Association sticker prominently displayed (ATVUtah sticker to go on back):

These stickers are super-duper important when you ski a lot, by the way. Lift rides can get real, real, REAL boring. So if you flash these stickers around, you can attract pilots, ATV riders and other interesting people to share your chair and swap 'no sh**, thought I was gonna die' stories to pass the time to the top of the mountain. Wink

Oh, here is a picture of the top pocket's contents, ready to roll to the ski hill. Field monitor stowed away, the two helmet cams in their mounts and in ziploc bags, a couple spare tapes, a couple spare video recorder batteries, Allen wrench set (in case I have to adjust the helmet cam postions in their mounts), etc. I don't actually need the whole Allen wrench set, just one of them, but I figured I'd drop/lose a single Allen wrench in the snow if I brought it loose.

Anyhoo, there you go, video geekism will hit the ski hill next week.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #67 - 03/10/07 at 20:35:15

Now say that 3 times real fast. Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing

FA, I think we should charge GG by the inch.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #68 - 03/10/07 at 21:22:37

I second that Pa Jack buy the inch and the price should be around $249.99 per inch  Rolling on floor laughing
We could all vote on this but I think the price could go up so how about we give GG a 10% discount  Smiley

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #69 - 03/11/07 at 09:16:35

If FA were to charge me by the inch, I'd be in the poor house in no time. I've got so much wire crammed in there that I think I could use it to string a phone line all the way from here to Vulcan's Beaver push-pin. And did you notice the fire extinguisher in the last photo? It isn't there by accident.  Grin

Yeah, given all that wire and given that I usually Homer (Smiley ) every video thing on my first try, I think I'll give it a dry run on the ski hill in my back yard. Not as many lifts as where I usually go, but at least I don't have to drive anywhere or ride a gondola. Wouldn't want that pack to burst into flames on me while in a confined space. The posthumous Darwin Award would tarnish my family's name for generations to come.  Rolling on floor laughing

Maybe I'll give it a whirl on Monday morning.

IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #70 - 03/11/07 at 09:51:49

Hey GG if you need some more junk I will be happy to mail you 2 Rhino 530 systems. When the batteries short out they should keep you warm till the rescue team finds you.

Yea we will wait to see what happen on the monday trip hehe hope you live through this  Rolling on floor laughing the forum would just not be the same without you  Cool

O it is fine with me if you want to start working on the phone lines save me a ton of money as I bet they don't have much out that way yet. Hum........ no phone no internet connection no water no power Hum............... I could be in trouble, 2 cups and a string yea that is what you said hehe that way I can call for  help me

IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #71 - 03/11/07 at 15:31:19

GG
Thanks!! for posting those pics. I can see that might work out fine.
I thought the pack would be larger. Looks just right.

Vulcan
Dont send him any more stuff if it involves WIRES....dont want the old Grizz to get hung up in the trees going down the slopes. Wink
Looks like your almost an Aristocrat Vulcan do you think Gary could put that crown on your avitar dude ??????????

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #72 - 03/11/07 at 16:19:57

Just imagine if you could sneak into GG's bag and cut just one little wire. It would take him years to figure it out. That would keep him occupied till spring thaw. Rolling on floor laughing

If you short circuit anything and that pack catches on fire, Lt. and his crew won't be able to put you out. GG will become BBQ.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #73 - 03/11/07 at 20:16:39

RedGrizz wrote on 03/11/07 at 15:31:19:
I thought the pack would be larger. Looks just right.

He, he, he. You ain't seen nothing yet, RG.  Smiley

It is only small because that's the pack my wife happened to have tucked away in the closet. I found out later that she had taken it on our honeymoon to Greece, so now I'm really in the dog house for not remembering she had it. My only excuse so far is 'gee honey, I really wasn't looking at your camera pack on our honeymoon, OK?'. So far, so good.  Cheesy

The ATV pack will be bigger because I need to fit in more stuff:

-- 2 of the Pa Pa Jack 2.4 GHz video receivers

-- 2 of the Sony DCCL50B DC Adapters. I'm wimping out on building my own HC-96 power supply. I'll leave that to the overachieving geeks.  Wink

-- A box with a microcontroller, 900 MHz receiver and a few of those Elm Electronic chips to that I can control record stop/stop for both HC-96's via the wireless keyfob transmitter, instead of having 2 LANC cables coming out. OK, I'll probably never get around to building this one, but it's nice to allow for soom room in case I do.  Wink

-- A bigger PowerPole splitter (8 connections) to power all this stuff.

Oh, and I'm going to sharpen up my wire cutters, heat up my soldering iron and build some custom/short cables to connect everything together. No more rats nest. That way, if Pa Pa Jack sneaks up and clips a cable, it won't take me until the spring thaw to figure out what happened!  Grin

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #74 - 03/11/07 at 20:44:51

Who me? Roll Eyes

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #75 - 03/11/07 at 20:54:39

Ok got all the parts ready to order but need one more link to the holder that hooks to the rack ???? The search will not find anything in the links under mounts I know Red Man had a metal one listed and GG I think the one you found was plastic it was a bogden or something like that mount to the rack. I believe could be wrong but still need a quick way to mount a system to the rack with a 1 inch ball style holder  help me

I will need to post a picture after I get all the stuff together befoe I leave on the vacation hehe and it could take a few pictures  Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #76 - 03/12/07 at 20:11:37

A random thought, and most of my thoughts lately have been random. I would love to be at the terminal when GG tried to get his little photo pack through as carry on luggage. Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing

I just hope I have a camera with me at the time.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #77 - 03/12/07 at 21:50:22

Vulcan,

Either of these already have a clamp to attach the unit to your rack:

If you are looking for just the clamp, try one of these:

IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #78 - 03/12/07 at 23:20:07

Grizzlyguy and Pa
How bout this to run 2 HC96 cams ?Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

7.2 V right???
If that would work it looks like an easy hook up with Pa's B19 adapter??
That red plug in the kit looks kinda like the HC96 plug ??

IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #79 - 03/13/07 at 05:15:45

GrizzlyGuy wrote on 03/12/07 at 21:50:22:
Vulcan,

Either of these already have a clamp to attach the unit to your rack:

If you are looking for just the clamp, try one of these:

Super GG that is the link to bad they are all out of stock Sad just my luck Hum.............
I guess I can call them and see when the clamp will be back in stock and get the other stuff ordered before they sell the arms and other stuff I want.
I typed in the search here for mounts but that link never came up.

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #80 - 03/13/07 at 10:06:55

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 03/12/07 at 20:11:37:
A random thought, and most of my thoughts lately have been random. I would love to be at the terminal when GG tried to get his little photo pack through as carry on luggage. Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing

You should have seen the small suitcase I brought along on our honeymoon to Greece that was crammed full of ham radio equipment, international power supply, antenna tuner, wires, test equipment, gadgets, digital clock, and assorted paraphrenalia. I made sure to put in a piece of paper in that said "This Is Not A Bomb" in 3 languages and in big letters. Under that were copies of my American ham license, my temporary Greek ham license, copies of the manuals for all the gadgets, etc. I really didn't want to end up in one of those rooms they have at overseas airports where they water-board suspected saboteurs.  Grin

Of course this was pre-911. Everytime I checked that bag, I made a point of telling the airline people what was in it and volunteering to open it, have them search it, whatever. No one took me up on the offer. No one even cared. We went right into La Guardia, on to Heathrow, on to Athens, and onto the hydrofoil that took us to the Greek island where no hams had set foot in years.

Let's just say that I was a real popular guy when I got my dipole strung up and fired up the ra-did-io. Hams all over the world probably had their pagers going off as soon as I was spotted, were driving 90 mph to get back to their stations to try and get into my log book, etc. Too bad for the ones that didn't do Morse Code, cause I wasn't accommodating the microphone users.  Grin

Of course with all the honeymoon activities going on, my operating time was limited. I could only get on the air when she was asleep or occupied doing things like trying to capture the perfect sunset photo and all that. But I still managed to give 1,500 hams a new one, followed up by a pretty QSL (confirmation) card they could put on their walls (one of her photos turned out real nice, so I used that on my card).

So now you know the REAL reason why I forgot all about her bringing the little photo backpack along. I had my own more important luggage to focus on.  Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #81 - 03/13/07 at 10:34:31

RedGrizz wrote on 03/12/07 at 23:20:07:
Grizzlyguy and Pa
How bout this to run 2 HC96 cams ?Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

7.2 V right???
If that would work it looks like an easy hook up with Pa's B19 adapter??
That red plug in the kit looks kinda like the HC96 plug ??

RedGrizz,

Not sure, but me thinks that wouldn't work so well.

First, the HC-96 wants 8.4V instead of 7.2V. So if you mean to use those batteries, not sure if the HC-96 would be happy with the lower voltage or not.

Second, if you mean to use that battery charger as the power supply, note that battery chargers usually have circuitry that tries to vary the amount of current based on how charged the battery is (usually determined by monitoring the voltage on the charge lines). The higher the voltage, the less current it puts out. So instead of supplying a constant current like a power supply or battery would do, the current might be swinging all over the place, or be limited to a trickle as the charger tries to make heads or tails of this non-battery thing (HC-96) you have connected to it.

IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #82 - 03/13/07 at 18:55:49

GG
the HC96 battery is 7.2 V and the camera says 7.2 on the bottom
The Sony AC adapter puts out 8.4 V
I had planned to leave the battery on the camera as a buffer.
You are probably right on the monitoring but it says it will charge any NMH battery.  The camera ones are smaller than the RC units though so my concern would be charging to quickly.

????????????? Thanks for the input. Smiley

IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #83 - 03/16/07 at 20:20:24

Hum...........
RG did you read the out put of that charger it is 12 volts DC so that should put out way more volts then you need. I have a few 1.5 amp trickle chargers here and they say output 12 volts DC and auto shoutoff but they put 13.6 volts out under a load.

Anyway I would not use that myself as I think it would over charge the battery or could hurt the camera just my 2 cents worth.

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #84 - 03/16/07 at 21:01:58

Well RG, there is only one way to find out: connect gizmos, apply power, and look for smoke! That's a tried and true method of geekery.  Grin

Yes, it would be normal for the voltage input to the unit to be higher than the voltage of the battery. That is to allow for some voltage drop in the charge controller for the battery. I'm going way out of my league here (and into the inner workings of autos), but I suspect that is why an alternator in a car puts out more voltage than the battery voltage. You'd know for sure, but I'd think there is some kind of gizmo in between the alternator and the battery to control how much current flows into the battery, else Mr. Battery's essential juices would bubble away while the engine is running. Questioning

Don't hold me to this, but if you give it a whirl, me thinks no smoke will fly. The charger expects to see 7.2V when the battery it expects to be out there is at full charge. So if it even sees the HC-96's battery voltage out there (also 7.2V), it should cut back its current. So no smoke, and no pretty pictures for you (except from the battery, until it dies).

But anyone brave enough to sink themselves into an ice-cold creek hole, and send perfectly good cars flying off bluffs, and ride up unmapped canyons through the water and brush... ought to be brave enough to give it a whirl, no?   Grin

Oh, and if I'm wrong, Amazon has a good price on HC-96's right about now.  Rolling on floor laughing  help me

IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #85 - 03/16/07 at 22:34:42

OK first of all I trust you guys.......I would have to cringe before the smoke test. If I was son of Sony......no problemo.........However I am on a budjet and I like my HC96 too much to kill it.

I did find this though......... Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

What do you think??? They had one at Best buy tonight for 37.00
It also had a number to call if you couldnt find your type of plug in the kit. I didnt see the HC96 one in there but It did have one for my trv-17.
It is switchable to 8.4V and will run off car battery or 110V AC.

Thanks for the warnings and wisdom. Smiley

Hey GG we are going to the canyon at 7AM its supposed to be 70 degrees.
If you leave by 2AM you could make it HE HE Rolling on floor laughing Roll Eyes
PS .....its an all grizzly day.......3 and counting... Cool

NEW NOTE......
It was not the one above It was this one........
The bottom plug in this ad looks like the HC96 plug to me. Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #86 - 03/17/07 at 06:35:13

GrizzlyGuy wrote on 03/16/07 at 21:01:58:
Well RG, there is only one way to find out: connect gizmos, apply power, and look for smoke! That's a tried and true method of geekery. Grin

Yes, it would be normal for the voltage input to the unit to be higher than the voltage of the battery. That is to allow for some voltage drop in the charge controller for the battery. I'm going way out of my league here (and into the inner workings of autos), but I suspect that is why an alternator in a car puts out more voltage than the battery voltage. You'd know for sure, but I'd think there is some kind of gizmo in between the alternator and the battery to control how much current flows into the battery, else Mr. Battery's essential juices would bubble away while the engine is running. Questioning

Don't hold me to this, but if you give it a whirl, me thinks no smoke will fly. The charger expects to see 7.2V when the battery it expects to be out there is at full charge. So if it even sees the HC-96's battery voltage out there (also 7.2V), it should cut back its current. So no smoke, and no pretty pictures for you (except from the battery, until it dies).

But anyone brave enough to sink themselves into an ice-cold creek hole, and send perfectly good cars flying off bluffs, and ride up unmapped canyons through the water and brush... ought to be brave enough to give it a whirl, no? Grin

Oh, and if I'm wrong, Amazon has a good price on HC-96's right about now. Rolling on floor laughing help me

Yor are correct GG it is a regulator, the power from the alt is around 13.7 volts and the battery 12 volts and the regulator keep the volts at 13.7 so it will not over charge the battery but keep it full all the time or try to. The lead acid battery can handle a lot more then a small HC-96 battery. The car battery has around 650 amps that you could weld with for a short time Smiley

I just use a large battery for the HC-96 one of the 90's e-bay sells them for 7 to 8 bucks with the charger that seem to work just fine for me.

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #87 - 03/17/07 at 07:57:31

RedGrizz wrote on 03/16/07 at 22:34:42:
                 NEW NOTE......
It was not the one above It was this one........
The bottom plug in this ad looks like the HC96 plug to me. Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Yes, that (SUP-70) looks like it would work to me. And, you have AC capability as well. Smiley The first one you found (SUP-60) wouldn't work, as it is AC only.

You're right on the drive time from here to your canyon. But you forgot about the time it would take me to get one Grizzly through the 3-5 feet of snow from the Grizzly Den to the front of the house. Let's see, how about all day? Then all day again to get it back in the den so it doesn't get eaten by the snow-blowing dragon if we get another storm.  Grin

But I'm thinking good thoughts. If this warm weather holds out, I might have to get some black plastic and lay it down on the snow to help melt out a drivable section.

Yup Vulcan, I've done my share of accidental welding (Smiley =  Smiley) while trying to wire this gizmo or that one to the car battery. Shocked

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #88 - 03/17/07 at 21:08:58

I didn't realize that Grizzlies were afraid of a little snow. Grin

Maybe the Hummer could bust through. I am still awaiting the ski-slope videos.  Undecided

I may be mailing you a big bag of parts. MAKE IT WORK. help me

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #89 - 03/18/07 at 13:54:31

Well, I finally got off my backside this morning and took my dual-cam ski pack out for a trial run. I got my second HC-96 last week, so both HC-96's were in the pack. I'm capturing the tapes right now, but it looks like I had the helmet cam pointed down too far again.  Sad

The boot cam stayed on the boot until I turned it around backwards. Then every time I landed a jump, the shock from the landing would knock it off and I'd see it dragging/bouncing along the snow next to my ski.  Sad Good thing the mount is solid and waterproof.  Smiley

Oh well, I'll have to see if anything decent turned out.

Don't mail me that bag of parts, you are practically there! You mastered all the voltage regulator stuff, so now all you have left is the wiring.  Cool

IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #90 - 03/18/07 at 14:22:25

GrizzlyGuy
Still sounds better than digging the Grizz out of the den. Rolling on floor laughing

That shot of the camera bouncing might be a nice touch, I have some footage like that with the camera getting knocked off my head by branches and brush numerous times.

Looking forward to seeing your video................... Cool

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #91 - 03/18/07 at 15:26:33

I guess you must have survived Canyon Ride #2 without drowning or anything, huh RedGrizz?  Grin Can't wait to see some video from that one.

RedGrizz wrote on 03/18/07 at 14:22:25:
That shot of the camera bouncing might be a nice touch, I have some footage like that with the camera getting knocked off my head by branches and brush numerous times.

Those sound like some cool scenes. I hope you put a few of those into your future videos. I was also thinking of making a "blooper" video one of these days. Plenty of screw-ups in my video collection, maybe a few of them will even be funny.  Cheesy

I am just now capturing my boot cam tape and it really looks promising. You really get the sense of speed from 1 foot off the snow.

Oh boy, now I finally get to figure out the editing thing in Pinnacle where you have video on two different time lines (helmet cam on one, boot cam on the other). They say that makes split editing easier, we'll see. Now that I have two cams plus the Panasonic for hand-held, might be time to start thinking about upgrading to Adobe Premiere. That multi-cam stuff they have sounds super useful.

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #92 - 03/18/07 at 18:19:14

Anyone interested in try to build one of these remote dohickeys do not bother to get the DE-SWADJ regulators that we found in our research.

I bought 4,  expecting to fry at least two before I figured anything out. Well, two of them do not work at all and the other twq are not adjustable. They cut the voltage from 12v to 8.4v and that is it. I cannot get the voltage to increase or decrease. It is a lot cheaper to buy fixed regulators.

If anyone else has tried and been successful, let me know. I MIGHT have done something wrong but I don't think so.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #93 - 03/18/07 at 19:51:55

Grizz

Yes I survived the canyon.......................But barley Roll Eyes

It was a blast but rough on the old body ......and the Grizz.
(glad I put skid plates on last week) Wink
One of our guys bailed off his 06 Grizz and it chased him down the hill ....sideways. No sweat, both are OK. The 07s are a lot more stable on the side hills. I have 2 hours of video to capture and edit so it might be a bit.
We rode in there 7 hours and covered 4 miles .if that gives you an idea

Pa
Im going to get that adapter converter I posted about from Best Buy
Ill let you know how it works. I also bought some foam pad waffle material that In putting in a waterproof ATV bag for my gear. Ill take a pic when Im done.

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #94 - 03/19/07 at 00:27:21

RG.  Check your e-mail. It's just a rough idea. It is all there and will be tighter when I get all the wires cut to length and put into a project box. That is just the helmet section.

[/URL]
[/img]

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #95 - 03/19/07 at 15:51:30

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #96 - 03/19/07 at 19:54:12

LOOOOOOOOOOOKING GOOOD  PAPa

Is the video next???? Shocked Roll Eyes

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #97 - 03/19/07 at 22:17:28

Now wait just a potton-kickin' minute, Pa Pa Jack. What is the intriguing mechanical arm do-hickey holding up the camera in this one?:

Have you been holding out on us?  Cool

Yeah, yeah, radios and wires, been there done that.  Wink  help me

But a fully configurable *mechanical arm*?!? With real bolts and screws and pivoting things and all that stuff? Now you've got me interested. Grin

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #98 - 03/19/07 at 23:32:59

I honestly didn't think you would notice. Let's just call it my next project. Smiley

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #99 - 03/20/07 at 07:09:43

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 03/19/07 at 23:32:59:
I honestly didn't think you would notice. Let's just call it my next project. Smiley

You didn't think I'd notice? Heck, I covet that mechanical arm already. Does Pa Pa Jack Manufacturing have an address where I can mail my order and check?  Grin

Ahhhh... now it's all starting to make sense. Just the other day you said 'Makes me wonder if we are getting the quality of pictures that the cameras are capable of'. Me thinks you are now about to commit science by riding up and down your driveway with an HC-96 and a helmet cam both recording the same thing. Then you can compare the video side-by-side and know how good of a picture you really get with that helmet cam.   Cool

Hmmmm...

I have no ability to create fully-ariculating mechanical arms, but I'm not half bad with pipe wrap foam and duct tape. So when the Grizzly emerges from hibernation, me thinks I may try to reproduce this experiment of yours. Pinnacle even has a split-screen video feature so I could put them side-by-side right in the same video.

Yes, wondering about something can easily lead to science. Just don't start wondering what it would be like to make your own flying machine out of cheese cloth and waltz off a cliff in the name of science, OK?  Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print