Crazy Lady
Global Moderator
Sponsoring Member
PLEAA

Ride and Let Ride

Utah County
Look Out Pass Ride
04/09/07 at 00:18:41

This is a ride we did in January. Our staging place was at Look Out Pass on the Pony Express Trail on the west desert of Utah. The temperature when we unloaded was a mere 19 degrees. The victim in this video is me Embarrassed. Of all the crazy stuff I've done on an ATV I'm pretty embarrassed that this trail got me. But, I'm all healed up and back on the trails again. Grin

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Remember kiddies, keep you arms and legs inside the ride at all times, hold on and have fun!!!
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Re: Look Out Pass Ride
Reply #1 - 04/09/07 at 10:22:09

Wooo-hoooo! I'm sure sorry about the outcome because I'll bet it hurt like heck, but that was still quite entertaining.   Smiley

No ma'am, no wimps in that group. You know you've done some tough riding when you end up in a chair with medical professionals waving needles in your face at the end of the day.  Rolling on floor laughing

Snow gremlins. Hmmmm.... Son of a gun, I think those very same gremlins caused our little mishap on Friday. Rolling on floor laughing  

IP Logged
Crazy Lady
Global Moderator
Sponsoring Member
PLEAA

Ride and Let Ride

Utah County
Reply #2 - 04/09/07 at 11:02:42

I'm telling you those Snow Gremlins are everywhere!!!! Rolling on floor laughing They've taken out more riders than I care to count especially my other half! I keep telling him he's riding to close to the edge of the trail but he has assured me that the reason he ends up off the trail stuck in the snow is those *&#@ Snow Gremlins. Rolling on floor laughing I'm sure if it was his own stupidity he'd admit it Roll Eyes. I know I sure would Roll Eyes yup.....Snow Gremlins Rolling on floor laughing

Remember kiddies, keep you arms and legs inside the ride at all times, hold on and have fun!!!
  IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #3 - 04/09/07 at 12:27:49

Ah yes the nepherious Snow Gremlins. Know them well.  Wink

Caught one too.....
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
or Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
!!

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #4 - 04/10/07 at 09:15:44

You know, I think I did see a little guy that looked just like that go scurrying across the road just before our impact on Friday. I'll have to check the tapes again and see if either cam caught that. But I seem to remember him wearing a tall, purplish hat with a wide brim...   Roll Eyes

Cat Lover is correct, them thar Snow Gremlins really are everywhere!  Grin

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #5 - 04/11/07 at 12:30:01

Cat Lover wrote on 04/09/07 at 00:18:41:
But, I'm all healed up and back on the trails again.

Gee whiskers, Cat Lover. Are you sure those medical professionals waving the needle in your face were really professionals? I mean from the looks of your dental work in that new self-portait off to the side, I kinda gotta wonder...  Shocked  Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Crazy Lady
Global Moderator
Sponsoring Member
PLEAA

Ride and Let Ride

Utah County
Reply #6 - 04/11/07 at 13:20:02

GrizzlyGuy wrote on 04/11/07 at 12:30:01:
Gee whiskers, Cat Lover. Are you sure those medical professionals waving the needle in your face were really professionals? I mean from the looks of your dental work in that new self-portait off to the side, I kinda gotta wonder... Shocked Rolling on floor laughing

Ya bet ya...they done fixed me up good!!!! Smiley The doctor was teasin me cuz I told my hubby he was probably makin him nervous filming the event. The doc said he wasn't but I looked over and there he was shakin with a needle in his hand. Smiley But I like the new dental work and the glasses took care of that little vision problem when he poked me in the eye. Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

South East Idaho
Reply #7 - 04/11/07 at 22:08:27

Bev, you crack me up Smiley guess them gremlins like to hang out on netting fences in that sunny winter weather?

Polaris 570 RZR
If the women don't find me handsome, At least they will find me handy! Red Green
  IP Logged
carlc44
God Member

Love to ride.

Saratoga Springs, UT
Reply #8 - 05/07/07 at 18:07:02

Great video, looked like a fun ride except for the little accident.  It was good fortune for that you weren't hurt too seriously. Aye?

Maybe a helmet would have helped a little?

C-Dogg

2017 Polaris General

Love to play golf too.
  IP Logged
Crazy Lady
Global Moderator
Sponsoring Member
PLEAA

Ride and Let Ride

Utah County
Reply #9 - 05/07/07 at 20:36:19

carlc44 wrote on 05/07/07 at 18:07:02:
Great video, looked like a fun ride except for the little accident. It was good fortune for that you weren't hurt too seriously. Aye?

Maybe a helmet would have helped a little?

C-Dogg

Nope it wouldn't. A helmet just would have guaranteed that I would have hit my head on the ground. As it was I didn't and the bump came from a tire from the fourwheeler which I saw in time to aviod a more direct hit because why? No helmet obstructing my view or my hearing. You might want to take a look at Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
. Then, if you wouldn't mind, drop the helmet thing with me. I don't bother you about wearing one and personally I see them as much a hazard as a safety device. Oh, and by the way, this will be the last time I respond to your compulsive disorder to inflict your opinion on people who clearly don't want it.

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #10 - 05/07/07 at 20:57:46

Which reminds me of a helmet story.

So there I was, about to hang glide at one of the most regulated sites in North America: Ed Levin Park. This is also where my Bay Area Soaring video was shot. But anyhoo...

This place has rules for everything: how low you can fly over the picnic area, insurance requirements for the people who drive your vehicles down from the top, training and rating requirements for the pilots, fire extinguishers required in all vehicles that drive to the top, etc. But the most important rule is... all pilots must fly with a helmet on. Break that rule and you're toast. They take away your flying privileges for a whole year at the site, they write the USHGA and recommend that you get your rating stripped, the whole nine yards. But anyhoo...

There I am, all ready to launch. Looks like a good day and I've got a wireman (someone to help me launch, the winds were picking up). I get a good cycle, sprint down the grassy hillside, and I'm off! I'm all excited and kind of wonder why I had such a hard time getting my feet and legs into the harness as I prone out.

But I'm not too worried. It is great to be alive. The ground is dropping away, a breeze is in my face, and the wind is in my hair... Wait a minute. Wait just a cotton pickin' minute... The-wind-is-in-my-hair!?!

Dohhhhh!! I had launched without a helmet. Dag nabbed double dog snot. What a time to pull that move. Anywhere else in the world and noone would have cared. But here.... rating revocation time.

Then it hit me. The reason I had difficulty getting my feet and legs in the harness was because my helmet was stowed down in the "stinger" of my harness, right where I always put it. I tried all kinds of tricks with my boots to hook the strap and haul it out, but to no avail.

So I flew out into clear air, maybe 1500' over the ground and at least 500' from the nearest glider. I let go of the control bar and did my best impersonation of a circus contortionist to fish that helmet out. At one point I hit some turbulence and was 180 degrees bass-ackwards in the glider at this point. I grabbed onto the keel (the pipe going out the back) and hung on for dear life.

Eventually the glider flew its way out of the turbulence, and there I was with the helmet strap hanging in my teeth. How, I don't know. But I still had about 800 feet of altitude. So I got myself straight in the glider again, hauled on the brain bucket, and PRAYED that no one had seen what I had done.

I came into the landing zone and made a perfect no-step landing, no more than 10 feet from the little cone. I was waltzing toward the trees to break down when someone said "Hey dude, AWESOME aerobatics up there". i looked at him with a dumb look, not knowing what he was talking about since I was never a decent aerobatic pilot, and then I realized what he had seen. I said "Yeah, dude. Radical".

Off went the brain bucket and I started to tear down my glider, trying real hard not to burst out laughing.  Grin

IP Logged
Crazy Lady
Global Moderator
Sponsoring Member
PLEAA

Ride and Let Ride

Utah County
Reply #11 - 05/07/07 at 21:16:59

Great story!!!! I needed a good laugh  Rolling on floor laughing.  Thanks for the comic relief.  Reading your post is like having Speilberg, Mark Twain and Evel Knevel all in one  Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing.   Too bad no one caught that one on video,  I'd like to have seen it but it probably wouldn't be any better than the image you painted in my mind  Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #12 - 05/07/07 at 21:17:10

Glad you're OK.  Love the scenery and the fact that other people are as crazy as me and ride every chance they get. I would love to ride in the snow but SC doesn't get much.

I don't know anything about Snow Gremlins but down here in the south we have Kamikaze Possums that have been known to cause many a bad situation.

My wife has had two runins with these danged critters at night on good roads. They have a habit of pushing deer out in front of cars. Especially Cadillacs. White Cadillacs. Owned by transplanted Yankees.  Angry

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
Crazy Lady
Global Moderator
Sponsoring Member
PLEAA

Ride and Let Ride

Utah County
Reply #13 - 05/07/07 at 22:56:10

Should I be afraid if I bring my white GrandPrix down there?  Is it the white or the Caddie that sets 'em off.  Grin

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #14 - 05/07/07 at 23:00:05

I dunno Cat Lover. My wife swears that those danged Possums wait wfr white cars cause they can see them better at night.

She may be right cause she nas never run over a possum at night and I have smashed more than a few.

Maybe they can't see the bright yellow Ranger.

Must be cause she would never stretch the truth about such a thing to her loving husband. Roll Eyes

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
vintagemxr
Sponsoring Member

Old Fahrt

Casa Grande, AZ
Reply #15 - 05/07/07 at 23:10:02

Smiley If you think snow gremlins are tough, look what Arizona rock gremlins can do.

One of the local guys tumbled his quad and found a nice, pointy rock jambed into the skin of his cooler.  I'm thinking that would have hurt like heck on almost any part of the human anatomy.   Shocked  

As one of the guys told me "Arizona is just one big pile of rocks."   That's not strictly true as there are cactus also.   Smiley

I salute you guys for riding when it was only 19 degrees.  I nearly caught cold just watching the video!

Doug

'07 Arctic Cat 650TRV (our's)
'01 Honda Recon (her's)
'03 Aprilia Caponord (his)
----------------------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
WWW   IP Logged
Crazy Lady
Global Moderator
Sponsoring Member
PLEAA

Ride and Let Ride

Utah County
Reply #16 - 05/08/07 at 12:12:57

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 05/07/07 at 23:00:05:
Must be cause she would never stretch the truth about such a thing to her loving husband. Roll Eyes

I'm sure you're right cuz I know I would never stretch the truth to mine. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Crazy Lady
Global Moderator
Sponsoring Member
PLEAA

Ride and Let Ride

Utah County
Reply #17 - 05/08/07 at 12:17:00

vintagemxr wrote on 05/07/07 at 23:10:02:
Smiley If you think snow gremlins are tough, look what Arizona rock gremlins can do

Ouch....good it was the cooler and not a body....would have hurt no matter where it hit.  Glad it just took out the cooler.  Guess we always have to keep in the back of our head that we have our whole body out there on the line when we ride these things...... Wink

IP Logged
vintagemxr
Sponsoring Member

Old Fahrt

Casa Grande, AZ
Reply #18 - 05/08/07 at 22:04:21

Cat Lover wrote on 05/08/07 at 12:17:00:
Smiley If you think snow gremlins are tough, look what Arizona rock gremlins can do

Ouch....good it was the cooler and not a body....would have hurt no matter where it hit.  Glad it just took out the cooler.  Guess we always have to keep in the back of our head that we have our whole body out there on the line when we ride these things...... Wink

Well, riding around when it's 19 degrees means you guys are probably numb and wouldn't feel a thing until you thawed out at home.   Wink

Doug

'07 Arctic Cat 650TRV (our's)
'01 Honda Recon (her's)
'03 Aprilia Caponord (his)
----------------------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
WWW   IP Logged
Crazy Lady
Global Moderator
Sponsoring Member
PLEAA

Ride and Let Ride

Utah County
Reply #19 - 05/09/07 at 09:20:22

vintagemxr wrote on 05/08/07 at 22:04:21:
Cat Lover wrote on 05/08/07 at 12:17:00:

Ouch....good it was the cooler and not a body....would have hurt no matter where it hit. Glad it just took out the cooler. Guess we always have to keep in the back of our head that we have our whole body out there on the line when we ride these things...... Wink

Well, riding around when it's 19 degrees means you guys are probably numb and wouldn't feel a thing until you thawed out at home. Wink

Doug

I know I didn't really feel my split lip and especially my sprained thumb until later!  So I guess you may be right.  Yah I sprained my left thumb....still hurts.  But it's not my throttle thumb so it's all good  Grin  

Actually it felt pretty warm that day with the sun shining and all.  If you're dressed for it, it's not bad at all.  The coldest I've ridden in was at night one winter.  When we got to the trailhead the truck thermometer said it was 0 degreess.  Now that was cold!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print