Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
02/24/24 at 21:39:37

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Governor may veto the ATV street legal bill (Read 3817 times)
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Governor may veto the ATV street legal bill
03/04/08 at 22:10:06

Dear Action Alert Subscriber,

This is more urgent than it may appear. There is a very real chance the Governor will veto the ATV street legal bill unless we do something NOW.

Some local counties and municipalities are calling the Governors office and encouraging him to veto SB 181. This is the bill that will allow certain ATVs to become Street Legal and operated on public streets similar to motorcycles. A few distinctions between on street ATV use and other motorcycles are speed restrictions not to exceed 45 MPH or posted speed which ever is less, equipment requirements (turn signals, lights, etc), and optional exclusions for municipalities with large populations (Salt Lake County and any city with a population of 7500 or more). We have also been concerned that radical environmentalists will encourage the Governor to veto the bill. With pressure from these two sources he may veto the bill we have worked hard to get passed.

For these reasons we need ALL of you to call or email Governor Huntsman and encourage him to sign the bill into law. You can contact him by calling 801-538-1000 or by sending an email to him through his website at Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
. Lets give the Governor the support he needs to sign this bill. If you have any questions call us at 801-798-6996 we would be happy to talk to you about the details and benefits of this bill.

You may also consider contacting your local city and county governments and voice your support for the bill. You can find contact info for county officials by visiting our blog page and scroll down the left column near the bottom to find the link.

You may not be able to make our rallies or have time to submit lengthy comments but all of you can and should take 2 minutes and submit a comment to the Guv.

Dont forget to visit our legislative blog at Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
for up to the minute info on issues you care about, also see our new links and news reel services and participate in our polls in the left column.

Sincerely,

USA-ALL
622 N. 900 E.
STE #3
Spanish Fork, Utah 84660

801-798-6996

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

To subscribe to our email alert list send a message from the email address in which you would like to receive the alerts to Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
to unsubscribe send a similar message to Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
RedMan
Wind Bag
Sponsoring Member

Just Ride....

Sedalia CO - Marysvale UT
Re: Governor may veto the ATV street legal bill
Reply #1 - 03/09/08 at 18:11:50

At this point I think we all should call the governors office.

Call 801-538-1000.

All you have to do is tell them you don't want the governor to veto SB 181.

IP Logged
oleranger
God Member

Have wheeler????
Let's ride!!!!

Paiute ATV Trail USA
Reply #2 - 03/10/08 at 08:59:31

Greetings:

Best thing the Governor can do is veto SB 181.   I know everyone thinks we need this bill and it's the best thing since fried ice cream.  It's not.  I could go on at lenght as to the problems it will cause.  It will cause untold problems with on-the-ground management of OHVs by land management agencies.  ATV riders have been given thousands of miles of trails and mountain roads on which to ride and enjoy.   This bill opens up mountain highways as well.   It also mixes ATVs traveling at 45 mph on major and very busy highways with full sized vehicles, including semi - tractor rigs going 65 mph.   Dosn't take a rocket scientist to see what's going to happen.  I know the push is on to call the Gov. and tell him to sign the bill.   I'm doing just the opposite.  I hope and pray he has an ounce of common sense and he veto's this thing.  

soap box      Ye Ole Ranger

IP Logged
onebottledave
God Member
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Salt Lake City, UT
Reply #3 - 03/10/08 at 09:39:27

oleranger wrote on 03/10/08 at 08:59:31:
ATV riders have been given thousands of miles of trails and mountain roads on which to ride and enjoy.  

I don't know if it was just a unfortinate choice of words or what, but I take exception to the "given" thousands of miles of trails to ride and enjoy.  We have evey right seeings as how we pay for this privalage to ride those trails.  As far as you idea about hoping the Gov. vetos the bill, I am 100% with you on that one.  What I have read of the bill only a lawyer could understand.  I like the idea of being able to cross highways and connect sections of trail that you would otherwise have to trailer between but like you don't much like the idea of mixed use highways betwenn ATV's and auto/trucks.

Dave
2007 KQ 700
2009 Arctic Cat 700 Prowler
2009 Polaris RZR
ATV Wagon 800 AL
Mountain Goat Trailer "Minnie Me"
Rock Canyon Trailer
  IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

South East Idaho
Reply #4 - 03/10/08 at 10:49:29

ATV freindly comunities in your state let OHVs on their streets now any way. We are not talking down town SLC,but Marysvale,Moab,Hurricane and Garden city to name a couple.

I have found this law in Idaho to be a great benifit, as dave has pointed out. I understand where your coming from Ole Ranger from the enforcement side. And yes there are going to be some UNTRAINED riders that will live on the edge as I put it.
Personaly I would not ride on a paved road if I knew a tractor trailer rig would be snorting at my behind.

The tire issue is sleeping at present enforcement wise. But brains tells a rider to beware on pavement, wheather it be tire wear or control.

And what I have observed......it is ok unless your cought. So from a enforcement veiw your allready on the job.

I support it and hope Utah lets its riders do the same.

Polaris 570 RZR
If the women don't find me handsome, At least they will find me handy! Red Green
  IP Logged
oleranger
God Member

Have wheeler????
Let's ride!!!!

Paiute ATV Trail USA
Reply #5 - 03/10/08 at 13:41:46

Your right Dave... poor choice of words....

ATV riders currently have thousands of miles of route to enjoy.  So why do we need to open up the majority of the State's paved two lane highways to them?  

We have here in central Utah, opened segments of paved roads and highways to facilitate loops and full access to popular riding systems.   To do this we have worked together with local counties and communities, on a case by case basis to make this happen.  And that's the way it should work; on a case by case basis where there is a specific need, and maximum safety can be afforded all users.  

But, to arbitrarily open every two land highway in the state... highways such as 89, 24, 153, 10, 12 and even the infamous highway 6, aka as highway of death, just dosn't make sense.  

It's bad news and I hope the Gov. will veto it.   But if he dosn't life will go on.  Just with a new set of major headaches for land managers.

Ye Ole Ranger    Wink

IP Logged
onebottledave
God Member
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Salt Lake City, UT
Reply #6 - 03/10/08 at 14:42:51

Like I said, I couldn't agree with you more.  Now can you try and impart some of that common sense onto some of the land managers in the norther part of the state?  

Dave
2007 KQ 700
2009 Polaris RZR
ATV Wagon 800 AL
Rock Canyon Trailer
  IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

South East Idaho
Reply #7 - 03/10/08 at 15:46:11

I see your logic and have found it to be true concerning the case by case method But remember what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The usage of the law as I see dose not involve paved roads (highways)as much as it dose gravel or paved county roads. But even then each distric of stewardship has their own personal feeling of enforcement.

For example in one county in my state I have to be riding on business when on a county road. That means like going to the tractor or changing the water. Where in the next county I am free to ride any place for any reason. And this is in a state who has a OHV road law.

No doubt alot of time and effort has been spent in coperating with comunities so they alow OHVs on designated routes though their towns for conveyance and monitay gain. Perhaps the goose is the small comunities and the gander is the State. Smiley

Polaris 570 RZR
If the women don't find me handsome, At least they will find me handy! Red Green
  IP Logged
DirtQuad
Aristocrat

Always time to ride.

Farmington, UT
Reply #8 - 03/10/08 at 17:03:47

Well DANG!!  I just don't know what to think.  I just know I've done some riding up in the East Park area between Vernal and Flaming Gorge, and they just don't want you on their dirt roads.  There's a bunch of trails up there that run for quit a ways, but they cross those roads.  However, the crossing are not right across the road.  Some trails stop at the road and then 200 yards or so down the road the trail picks up again.  I asked a ranger one time about how we're supposed to get from the trail on one side to the trail on the other.  He said we'd have to trailer the machines to the other crossing.  Of course, we couldn't drive the machines on the road to load and unload, so man, what a dilemma.

2016 Can Am Outlander Max XT 650
2010 Can Am Outlander XT 800
04 Chev Duramax Diesel Club
Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
  IP Logged
onebottledave
God Member
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Salt Lake City, UT
Reply #9 - 03/11/08 at 09:50:49

Like I said RedUnit, maybe oleranger can pass some of that common sense approach that they have developed in Souther Utah to their Northern land management brethern soap box  You are so right when you say it seems like they don't want ATV's on their dirtroads at all.  I guess they have a different interpritation of "public lands" than the rest of us.

Dave
2007 KQ 700
2009 Polaris RZR
ATV Wagon 800 AL
Rock Canyon Trailer
  IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

South East Idaho
Reply #10 - 03/11/08 at 11:43:38

onebottledave wrote on 03/11/08 at 09:50:49:
Like I said RedUnit, maybe oleranger can pass some of that common sense approach that they have developed in Souther Utah to their Northern land management brethern soap box You are so right when you say it seems like they don't want ATV's on their dirtroads at all. I guess they have a different interpritation of "public lands" than the rest of us.

The passage of this law would alow you to do ride on those roads forest or county. Regardless of a personal interpitation.

Polaris 570 RZR
  IP Logged
ATVmanager
Aristocrat
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Ride On!

Richfield, Utah
Reply #11 - 03/11/08 at 15:17:25

Freddy wrote on 03/11/08 at 11:43:38:
The passage of this law would alow you to do ride on those roads forest or county. Regardless of a personal interpitation.

Fred, I think either you are interpreting the proposed law wrong or someone has told you wrong.  This law applies only to County roads and highways, not Forest roads.  You will be able to ride on roads that Counties have rights-of-way on but other than that it is still under the jurisdiction of each Forest to manage their roads which includes designated uses.

All those dirt roads you are referring too would likely remain closed if they are currently.  There are not that many roads on National Forest land that are under County or State jurisdiction.  The main ones this would apply to are the State highways.

I really think this bill needs a lot of clarification.  I know on the outside it appears to be something really good but if you candy coat a turd, it's still just a prettier turd.

This bill was and still is an attempt by Mike Noel to run an end around on the Grand Staircase Monument and circumvent the normal process to get several historical routes open for ATV travel.  I am not saying it was right or wrong and he did what he felt he had to do.  The problem is that it affects everyone in the State by taking this route and there has not been enough thought and dialogue put into it.

As the bill stands a person would be able to ride an ATV on many of the busiest 2-lane highways in the State.  The bill mentions nothing about mixed traffic studies or traffic densities.  It only refers to town sizes less than 7,500.  So how does that apply to highways outside of towns?  Can someone trailer to the mouth of Provo canyon and ride up to Deer Creek Reservoir or even on over to Strawberry Lake?  How about Highway 14 from Cedar City to Duck Creek?

I think the Governor may as well be putting out a contrct on several peoples lives because signing this bill and allowing ATV's on those roads will take lives.

You all know as well as I do there are a lot of idiots out there who do not have nor practice any kind of common sense.  I just hope I'm not the unfortunate person that hits one of these idiots and ends their life.  That's something I don't want to have to live with.

Sportsman 800 EFI
  IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

South East Idaho
Reply #12 - 03/11/08 at 16:11:55

Thanks for the info I knew better to mention forest roads. I allmost forgot that comon sence had died. Embarrassed WHEW, I'm ought of here. And leave you to your own.

Polaris 570 RZR
  IP Logged
Spitsalottachew

I Love Utah!

Colorado
Reply #13 - 03/12/08 at 05:55:39

Here's something to think about. Bicycles are allowed on roads. And they are a hell of alot more of an impedence to traffic than an ATV would be. They're also easier to see and more likely to ride on the gravelly shoulder of a road than a bicycle to let faster traffic go by. When is the last time you saw a bicycleist pull off onto the shoulder of the road to let cars pass? Scooters are allowed on the roads as well.

IP Logged
RedMan
Wind Bag
Sponsoring Member

Just Ride....

Reply #14 - 03/12/08 at 10:46:38

I guess I don't understand how restricting the rest of us in order to keep a few idiots safe is the right tact either.  Lots of people shoot themselves in the foot but we don't restrict gun ownership that way.

The roads area already used by plenty of slow moving vehicles.
Tractors, Bicycles,  old people who can't find the gas peddle.
How many times have I come upon  a heard of cattle smack dab in the middle of the road?  

Any automobile/truck/ambulance/motorcycle driver is responsible for being able to avoid any obstacle in the road,  if another car is stalled in the middle of the road you need to have enough control of your vehicle to avoid it.  If a big rig is taking a blind curve at a rate of speed to fast to stop for the tractor/cows/atv/girl scout troop in the middle of the road then they are traveling too fast.  

The fact is an ATV is just another form of transportation, yet the only one being excluded from accessing these roads.  Why?  My RZR is capable of traveling 60mph.  Its way safer than my old street legal dirt bike.  Its stops much faster. It has seat belts and a roll cage.  My ATV has better lighting and is much more visible.

You can't keep people safe from themselves.  I have read the whole bill and find nothing wrong with it.  There are plenty of ways communities can opt out and I'm sure many will do just that.

IP Logged
quadsquad
Super Sponsor
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I'm happy as long as
my butt's on a quad!

Roy, Utah
Reply #15 - 03/14/08 at 21:40:52

I have heard that the Gov signed this today, can anyone verify that?

"Life should not be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in
an attractive and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used
up, totally worn out, and screaming
"Woo Hoo -- What A Ride!" "

IP Logged
Kawi650

Ride safe and
responsible!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reply #16 - 03/18/08 at 11:57:04

You are right.  The Governor signed SB 181 on the 13th or 14th of March.  It is now a done deal.  Copies of the enrolled bill can be found on the Legislature's website at Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

In short, the new law (effective October 1, 2008) allows a street legal ATV to operate on any highway in the state except: controlled access highways and interstates; highways with more than one lane in each direction, highways under the jurisdiction of  Salt Lake County or any city in Salt Lake COunty unless designated by the County or the City, and highways under the jurisdiction of cities with more than 7500 people unless designated open by the city.  Contrary to what ATVManager posted, the new law includes Forest Roads too, as well as county roads, state highways, US Highways, city streets, etc.

If you want to make your ATV street legal, there is a whole list of equipment that you'll need.  Then you'll need a driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement, insurance, and a new title and registration.  I'm sure that by October the DMV will have that all figured out.

Remember-- Protect Your Privilege, Stay on the Trail!
  IP Logged
Kawi650

Ride safe and
responsible!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reply #17 - 03/18/08 at 11:59:14

Sorry, one more item.  Communities and Counties, as well as federal agencies cannot opt out as RU said.  If the community has less than 7500 population, they are in.  Communities with more than 7500 population can opt in as well, but there isn't an opt out clause in the final version of the bill.  

I guess we'll see how it works.

Remember-- Protect Your Privilege, Stay on the Trail!
  IP Logged
RedMan
Wind Bag
Sponsoring Member

Just Ride....

Reply #18 - 03/20/08 at 13:59:06

So has anyone looked into the insurance side of this equation yet?

IP Logged
mcgeed
Post Ho
Big Ride 7

I love ATVs!

Syracuse, Utah
Reply #19 - 03/21/08 at 11:20:29

I already carry full coverage insurance on my ATV.

--
Life should not be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in
an attractive and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used
up, totally worn out, and screaming
"Woo Hoo -- What A Ride!"
--
E-mail: mcgeed2001@gmail.com
WWW   IP Logged
Moab
God Member
Sponsoring Member

The truth is there
http://visionvictory
manifesto

Reply #20 - 03/21/08 at 16:47:18

I carry full coverage too. It's pretty cheap really, I think it's around a hundred bucks a year per machine, maybe less. I wonder more what constitutes "street legal". Windshield wipers, turn signals, horn, maybe a heater and seat belts? Grin I don't want all that stuff on my machine.

I think Redman makes a good point. There will be those idiots who will try to sail down the road with the 18 wheelers for sure. On balance, I can think of a couple of areas where you could make a good 50 mile loop trail if you could go down a half mile or so of roadway. I hope it works out for the best.

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency first by inflation then by deflation, the banks and the corporations will grow up around them, will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print