Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
02/24/24 at 23:16:20

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: WHAT mods do I need to be street legal Oct 1? (Read 3895 times)
arlan arneberg
Newbies

I Love Utah!

Arizona
Re: WHAT mods do I need to be street legal Oct 1?
07/29/08 at 18:04:00

The way I see it. If the machine fits through the gate and there is not a 50" machines or less sign posted it should be OK. I just did Wades canyon, the RZR at 54" wide did just fine, also did trail 88. I saw a 50" or less side trail off of the 88. I didn't explore it. I will not attempt Rocky Ford or Pole Canyon I believe it is called. No way. Went up to Monroe mountain from Big Rock Candy  Mountain. Four machines fit through the gate at the bottom three would not fit the top gate. Someone had cut the wire. I disagree with the cutting of the wire but I also think that the gate at the bottom could have been narrowed with out much expense or at least a sign could have been put it place warning of a 50" gate up on the top.

Also I just left Colorado. I didn't see any problem areas with side by sides on any of the trails I encountered. I'm sure there are place they aren't welcome but I did see any.

IP Logged
Dick C
Former Member

I love ATVs!

The 9th State of the Union
Reply #1 - 07/29/08 at 20:14:49

arlan arneberg wrote on 07/29/08 at 18:04:00:
The way I see it. If the machine fits through the gate and there is not a 50" machines or less sign posted it should be OK. I just did Wades canyon, the RZR at 54" wide did just fine, also did trail 88.

Just because your machine fits through a gate does not mean it's OK to go. It sounds like you are disregarding the permitted uses of different trails or Trail segments shown on the official Travel map. The upper end of Wades canyon is shown as only Open for vehicles 50" or less in width and the same for the section of Trail 88 from the west side of Betenson Flat to LaBaron Lake area.

'07 & '10 Outlander 650XT's
  IP Logged
Stino
God Member

Need to ride a lot

Skyhopi Country
Reply #2 - 07/29/08 at 20:50:58

Dick C wrote on 07/29/08 at 20:14:49:
arlan arneberg wrote on 07/29/08 at 18:04:00:
The way I see it. If the machine fits through the gate and there is not a 50" machines or less sign posted it should be OK. I just did Wades canyon, the RZR at 54" wide did just fine, also did trail 88.

Just because your machine fits through a gate does not mean it's OK to go. It sounds like you are disregarding the permitted uses of different trails or Trail segments shown on the official Travel map. The upper end of Wades canyon is shown as only Open for vehicles 50" or less in width and the same for the section of Trail 88 from the west side of Betenson Flat to LaBaron Lake area.

What part do you not understand Questioning
soap box
Auggie

To much riding can make you healthy, wise, and broke. But I was broke already.
ASI Instructor
WWW Stino   IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #3 - 07/29/08 at 21:15:56

Dick C is right the gates are no longer the determining factor. Under the new rules the official motorized travel plan map is the only real source of knowing which trail you can go on with which type of vehicle. Just because someone before you tore down the signs or hacked the gates or jacked them open wider and you can squeeze through is no defense in court.

Under the new rules it is your responsibility to find out BEFORE you even go onto the forest lands where you can go legally. Waiting till you get to a fork in the trail and looking for a sign or a gate to see if your machine will fit will only get you in trouble. Get the Map! they are Free at the Forest Service office. Catch me at the Park N Ride or on the trails and I usually have them to give away.

Get caught on a 50" width restricted trail with a wider vehicle and you will get a citation and the judge will fine you, end of story.

I don't want this to sound like an anti-side-by-side forum because I like them and want one some day. We just have to work to get everyone to respect the rules before we have more serious problems.

We can also try and work with the Forest Service to reconsider trails on a one on one basis and possibly open up those that can accommodate side-by-sides to them. BUT if we have people who continue to abuse the rules in place now, why should the Forest Service even want to work with us on changes?

As to going to Colorado and having no problems with a side-by-side you were lucky. From what I am reading on the Colorado related OHV forums it is a nightmare there as to where you can legally ride with a side-by-side. In Utah almost all non-paved county, BLM and Forest roads are open to OHVs but thats not the law in Colorado, I should know I live there half the year. The Forest Service there is saying no side-by-sides on trails and the State says no unlicensed vehicles on State and County roads, which are the Forest roads; so whats left are a few designated roads. Again just because the road was not posted no OHVs or no side-by-sides didn't mean they are legal to use. It's just the opposite, the road or trail must be posted as open to use by OHVs. Again the only real way to know is with an official Forest Service printed or authorized map.

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
arlan arneberg
Newbies

I Love Utah!

Arizona
Reply #4 - 07/29/08 at 21:18:06

[quote author=Dick C link=1209591810/0#14 date=1217384089][quote author=arlan arneberg link=1209591810/0#13 date=1217376240]

What Official Travel Map are you speaking of. I guess the Trail Illustrated Map by National geographic is not it? I haven't seen another map. Please inform me.

IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #5 - 07/29/08 at 21:23:44

arlan arneberg wrote on 07/29/08 at 21:18:06:
What Official Travel Map are you speaking of. I guess the Trail Illustrated Map by National geographic is not it? I haven't seen another map. Please inform me.

the Paiute ATV Trail map is the official ATV trail map.

The map Dick and I are speaking of is a new map from the Fishlake National Forest Service. It shows not only the ATV trails but all of the motorized routes and their restrictions or limitations.
They are Free at the Forest Service offices. Catch me at the Park N Ride or on the trails and I usually have them to give away.

I am sure you saw the signs as you passed onto the forest land that say you must restrict motorized travel to those routes shown on the travel map (Or something to that effect I forget the exact verbiage)

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
arlan arneberg
Newbies

I Love Utah!

Arizona
Reply #6 - 07/29/08 at 21:31:40

Where is the USFS office?

So if I remove my after market wheels and tires I am legal in my RZR. That does sound so politically logical.

IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #7 - 07/29/08 at 21:36:12

arlan arneberg wrote on 07/29/08 at 21:31:40:
Where is the USFS office?

So if I remove my after market wheels and tires I am legal in my RZR. That does sound so politically logical.

Yes a stock RZR is 50" and was built to be legal under the new Forest Service rules. When people change the tires or add nerf bars or fender flairs they make their machines illegal to use on the trails designated for 50" or narrower vehicles.

I have a listing of the Forest Service office here on the website Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print