Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
02/24/24 at 22:30:32

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Goodyear Gator Back belt catastrophic failure (Read 5345 times)
SARrider
Post Ho

I Love Utah!

Salem, Utah
Goodyear Gator Back belt catastrophic failure
08/31/09 at 16:04:26

If you were on the Bg Ride IV then you know all about my belt failure. I had a number of the ATV riders ask what brand the belt was. There was some speculation it was a Gator Back when we found a small peice that had Good Year on it. It was a Goodyear Gator Back Sport CVT Belt. I bought it a year ago almost to the day as a spare and I decided to put it on the ATV a couple of days before the ride just so I would not have any belt issues...I know...I should have left well enough alone since the belt on my ATV only had a little over 3,000 miles on it and it looked great when I removed it.

It blew up 90 miles into the ride and at about 35 mph. Since we were on a five day, 400+ mile ride based on ATVs we had very few tools. We were able to put on my used belt which I had as a spare but we were not able to remove the clutches to get out all the trapped small rubber peices. You can see the biggest peice of the belt in the photo and some of the many many small peices we collected over the next four days in the second photo.

We tried our hardest to get out all the peices but they kept finding away to get out from where ever they were hiding and I could hear them running around the interior of the clutch case while on the ride. Some of the peices even stopped the machine on the trail between Escalante and Torrey. Over the next four days I had to remove the cover five or six times to clear small peices until I was able to get the machine to the Arctic Cat dealer in Aurora.

We met some great Arctic Cat guys in Aurora who got me back on the trail. Luckily there was no damage to the rest of the machine. When I heard the belt go I looked down on the road expecting to see the engine tumbling along beside me. You can not imagine the noise it made!

I want to thank all the guys on the ride for helping with the belt issues...tools, towing and most of all patience. You can not find a better bunch then those here on the forum.

Now we will just have to see if Goodyear will stand behind their product...

SARider
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
or Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
!!

TRV-700 Arctic Cat
Wildcat Trail XT
Utah Co Sheriff Search & Rescue (defying natural selection for 30 years)
  IP Logged
onebottledave
God Member
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Salt Lake City, UT
Re: Goodyear Gator Back belt catastrophic failure
Reply #1 - 08/31/09 at 16:17:15

To bad, I have two of those GY Gatorbacks in the garage for my Suzuki, guess I will not be using them any time soon, a shame as they are a lot more reasonable than the Suzuki belt is, but who needs that kind of reliability problems.

Dave
2007 KQ 700
2009 Arctic Cat 700 Prowler
2009 Polaris RZR
ATV Wagon 800 AL
Mountain Goat Trailer "Minnie Me"
Rock Canyon Trailer
  IP Logged
SARrider
Post Ho

I Love Utah!

Salem, Utah
Reply #2 - 08/31/09 at 18:10:34

The problwm is...how do you ask for replacement if you have them as spares for a year.  I think Goodyear is going to just laugh when I ask them for my money back.

I used a couple of your photos in the BR4 video.

Thanks
SARider

TRV-700 Arctic Cat
Wildcat Trail XT
Utah Co Sheriff Search & Rescue (defying natural selection for 30 years)
  IP Logged
quadforce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I love ATVs!

Roy,Ut
Reply #3 - 08/31/09 at 19:43:16

I had a similar experience  just a couple of weeks prior to BR4 . I picked up a new Gatorback belt  and installed it on my Brute . Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have any problems ya know ...

That belt made it for about ten miles . It was so tight that the bolt holding the primary clutch on got a slight bend to it . That made it so  that  the clutch couldn't fully disengage  at idle . I had to cut the belt off  to get it off . When I got it home I installed a new Kawi belt  and a new bolt  and I was good to go .

I had had a Gatorback on it previously and it worked fine . But I never will buy another one . Ever . The savings is just not worth the headache .

Big Ride 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Yeah , I kinda like to ride .

Public Lands Equal Access Alliance
Dedicated to Responsible Outdoor Recreation and the Preservation and Expansion of Trail Access
  IP Logged
BruteForce
Super Sponsor

Garfield County, Utah
Reply #4 - 08/31/09 at 20:20:43

The gatorbacks I have used eventually resulted in full detonation, leaving shards inside the pulleys. I think going forward, I'll stick with OEM Kawasaki - while twice the price, they've yet to detonate like the Goodyears have.

Hello, my name is: Jim

2020 Jeep Gladiator
-Falcon Shocks
-2" Lift, 37" Tires/Wheels
-Electronic rock sliders
2023 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (HO/EPS/Jet Black)
WWW   IP Logged
Ronnie
Aristocrat

I Love Utah!

Reply #5 - 08/31/09 at 20:47:32

For some reason the majority of aftermarket belts just don't hold up. I have seen them put on POPO's and get 10 miles down the trail and they are shredded. Chances are if your belt looks good then it probably is. I have 5200 miles on my X2 and I havn't even had the clutch cover off. I am a believer that if you use high and low like the owners manual says the belts last a long time. It is just hard to beat OEM belts.

Ronnie

IP Logged
onebottledave
God Member
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Salt Lake City, UT
Reply #6 - 09/02/09 at 11:17:00

For sale cheap, two Goodyear Gator Back CVT belts to fit Suzuki King Quad 700 - no guarantee they will not shred in under 100 miles did I say cheap, I met real cheap!

Dave
2007 KQ 700
2009 Arctic Cat 700 Prowler
2009 Polaris RZR
ATV Wagon 800 AL
Mountain Goat Trailer "Minnie Me"
Rock Canyon Trailer
  IP Logged
mcgeed
Post Ho
Big Ride 7

I love ATVs!

Syracuse, Utah
Reply #7 - 09/02/09 at 12:02:15

Heck Dave,

You've got 2 good, brand new, spares!!  At 10 miles each, that's 20 miles.

That should be far enough to get you out of the deep woods and back to civilization where you could get help.

Are ya sure you don't want to keep them 2 good spares??????

Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing

I'm with ya buddy.  I'd thought of getting a Gatorback a couple years ago when QuadForce got his and put it on at the first QuadForce Garage.  I'd just picked up a pair of Dayco belts for my ATV so I didn't buy the Gatorback.  I'm glad now that I didn't.

But that said, I haven't had too much better luck with the Dayco belts.  I ran one for a couple hundred miles last year.  On the last day of BR3, last year, I was hearing funky noises and was getting some strange shifting behavior.  Glenn suggested I look at my belt.  I told him I'd just put it on new a few days back (just before the ride).  Took that cover off and discovered several sections, each over an inch long that had no cogs left on it.  One section over 3 inches long.  So, by the light of FA's motorhome and a flashlight, I changed my belt once again.

I'm going to pick up another OEM belt.  I think I've heard enough about the Gatorback belts now.  I'll pass!

Doug

--
Life should not be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in
an attractive and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used
up, totally worn out, and screaming
"Woo Hoo -- What A Ride!"
--
E-mail: mcgeed2001@gmail.com
WWW   IP Logged
quadforce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I love ATVs!

Roy,Ut
Reply #8 - 09/03/09 at 19:45:45

The last Kawi OEM belt I bought was about three weeks ago . It was about $65.00 with tax . I think that is only about ten dollars more that the Gatorback .

Big Ride 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Yeah , I kinda like to ride .

Public Lands Equal Access Alliance
Dedicated to Responsible Outdoor Recreation and the Preservation and Expansion of Trail Access
  IP Logged
taccom
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member

From the swamps of
LA to the Mountains
of UTAH

Marysvale,UT
Reply #9 - 09/04/09 at 05:13:14

And the hydramatic (no belts) transmission on my Rincons and Rubicon continues on without a hitch.

Taccom: Always in Control
2007 Rincon with Duros and Rule 3000lb winch
2010 Rockwood Windjammer model #3001W
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
SPOT equipped in case of opps!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print