Send Topic Print
50 inch requirements (Read 8520 times)
Rodney Baughman
Newbies

I Love Utah!

California
50 inch requirements
10/09/11 at 14:12:23

I'm nearing the retirement mode and want to explore the country, especially the desert zones. While at a off road show this weekend I was told that many trails in Utah are closed to vehicles over 50" and that the Polaris RZR would overcome that obstacle. Reading some of the forms here, I came to realize that the 50 inch limit is really intended to limit the trails to class 1 ATVs. Is this true or do the RZRs truely overcome the limit?

IP Logged
BruteForce
Super Sponsor

Garfield County, Utah
Re: 50 inch requirements
Reply #1 - 10/09/11 at 20:10:16

Rodney Baughman wrote on 10/09/11 at 14:12:23:
I'm nearing the retirement mode and want to explore the country, especially the desert zones. While at a off road show this weekend I was told that many trails in Utah are closed to vehicles over 50" and that the Polaris RZR would overcome that obstacle. Reading some of the forms here, I came to realize that the 50 inch limit is really intended to limit the trails to class 1 ATVs. Is this true or do the RZRs truely overcome the limit?

Provided you don't install over sized after market tires or mud flares, the standard RZR will fit in almost every 50" gate.

Hello, my name is: Jim

2020 Jeep Gladiator
-Falcon Shocks
-2" Lift, 37" Tires/Wheels
-Electronic rock sliders
2023 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (HO/EPS/Jet Black)
WWW   IP Logged
Don S.
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

101st Airborne

Chula Vista, CA
Reply #2 - 10/10/11 at 06:58:00

I have a Rzr. To meet the 50" requirement you must use stock wheels with the stock offset. Also, be careful on you tire size.
I run Big Horn tires but I run 8" width all the way around with 25" diameter stock size tire.
You can also run 26 x 9' width tires all the way around and just make it through the gates.

If you want aftermarket wheels, STI makes an H2 model wheel that has the correct stock Polaris offset. THERE ARE NO OTHER AFTERMARKET WHEELS WHICH HAVE TO CORRECT OFFSET WHICH WOULD ALLOW YOU THROUGH THE 50" GATES.

Make sure you buy a stock 800 Rzr.  Not the other models.  

2010 Rzr
2007 Honda Rincon
  IP Logged
camorhino

Reply #3 - 10/10/11 at 11:49:36

Also something to think about. While the folks in UT. have been blessed with great trails and acceptance of the 50" RZR on those trails, not all of the other states and land managers are quite so understanding. A RZR does not fit the description of an ATV per definition, and I have seen them not allowed on 50" trails in other states.

IP Logged
BuddaBelly
Newbies

I Love Utah/I love
Polaris

Reply #4 - 11/06/11 at 08:01:47

Could someone tell me where the 50" requirement came from and why?

IP Logged
weatherman
God Member

Hurricane Utah
Reply #5 - 11/06/11 at 09:17:58

The way I understand it, the 50 inch rule came about to keep trails trails, and not have them become roads as wider and wider vehicles use them.

O ye that love mankind!
Ye that dare oppose, not only tyranny, but the tyrant, stand forth!
Tis not in numbers but in unity that our great strength lies.

-Thomas Paine
  IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #6 - 11/06/11 at 10:54:38

The 50" rule came about as a part of the new motorized travel management policies.

Because of ever increasing popularity of OHV use on Public lands and unfortunately almost uncontrollable misuse of our public lands by a very small minority of OHV users the Forest Service and then right behind them the BLM, began a series of changes to the policies used to manage access to those public lands.

One of those changes was the US Forest Service changed the motorized access to forest lands from "Open unless specifically designated closed", meaning you could drive anywhere you wanted even cross country off road, to a policy of "Close to motorized access unless specifically designated for motorized use" they had to begin designating which routes were open to what form of travel. This has been an ongoing process for the past half dozen years or so.

Long story short; They basically broke motorized routes through the forest into two categories. Those considered motorized trails and then roads.

Motorized "trails" were then restricted to machines 50" wide and under and "roads" are basically open to anything motorized, with a few exceptions.

This set of rules were developed and began to be implemented BEFORE there were side by sides as we know them today. Since the development of the side by side the forest service has in many areas stuck with the original rule. Under 50" = trail, over 50" = road.

So...
If your motorized vehicle, regardless of what it is or the dealer tells you, falls into the over 50" wide category then you are limited to the routes set forth in the Travel management plan rules as an over 50" route and you may not use the under 50" routes.

Sounds simple enough to follow doesn't it?

But...
This is a huge irritation to many side by side owners who feel they should be allowed to use the "trails" also and go anywhere in the forest they want.

So...
Because of public input and pressures some areas are reevaluating the 50" rule and have implemented exception where there are areas of high conflict or the 50" restrictions simply makes it impossible to navigate the full motorized usable area of a forest district. Case in point being the Beaver Ranger District of the Fishlake National Forest. Where because of a few small lengths of 50" trail it was not possible for side by sides to travel from Marysvale to Beaver or Circleville or Beaver to any other area of the Paiute. In these areas they have begun to implement a 60" rule to allow side by side OHV's but still restrict on highway vehicles to the "roads". The Paiute Trail system is a good example of cooperative management of public lands through the cooperation of Forest Service, BLM, State, Counties and the general public to come up with plans and policies that do the best they can for all concerns and for the protection of our public assets for future generation. I wish all Forest Service and BLM districts were as cooperative.

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
BuddaBelly
Newbies

I Love Utah/I love
Polaris

Reply #7 - 11/06/11 at 13:48:31

That explains it....an environmental issue only.  I would expect more future change to 60" since more & more people are buying side x sides.  From a public safety point of view, the extra 10" provides much more stability but very little environmental impact.

IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #8 - 11/06/11 at 16:01:20

BuddaBelly wrote on 11/06/11 at 13:48:31:
That explains it....an environmental issue only. I would expect more future change to 60" since more & more people are buying side x sides. From a public safety point of view, the extra 10" provides much more stability but very little environmental impact.

Thats not exactly true. Some trails are limited to 50" based on physical barriers and some based on safety factors.

No management issue is based entirely on one factor, first and foremost they cant do that legally. All the factors must be considered and weighed into the decision making process.

Example, can a 50" trail be physically widened by 10" without impacting other resources? after all we are talking about a 20% increase. Answer: not always... Would it mean cutting down tree's? or impacting a nearby stream and thus it's wild life? What about where it crosses private land? Can you legally cut a wider swath across a mans property? What about bridges and other structures? Will they accommodate the added width or will they need to be completely replaced? Will the trail still maintain the same aesthetics and feeling if widened? How much will it cost to widen the trail? It's not always a simple matter of opening it to larger vehicles and letting them do the work. One example is switch backs will require major rework with a trail cat and then can it actually be done in the same place or will there be physical limitation such as rocks, boulders, ledges, tree's, and so on, all of which cost something in one way or another and not just in $$$. If it must be moved to another area then we have an entirely new kettle of issues to consider.

So as you can see all sorts of things must be considered and it's not always simply environmentally driven. I'm sure if it was the land managers would love it because then their jobs would be very easy... and believe me it's not I've sat in on meetings and negotiations and it's not so simple.

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
BuddaBelly
Newbies

I Love Utah/I love
Polaris

Reply #9 - 11/07/11 at 07:36:34

Thanks Big Ride and I agree with your explaination except we're not talking about installing a freeway.  I'm talking about trails, mostly already established, and wider than 50" to begin with.....until some officials decide that 50" is the magic number.  Regardless of how many factors were considered to determine this "magic" number, the 50" restriction will "magically" disappear as more people buy 60" rides.

IP Logged
quadforce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I love ATVs!

Roy,Ut
Reply #10 - 11/07/11 at 08:06:23

The whole idea about multiple use is so that everyone can get the experience they are after . What about the singletrack guys ? Do they want to ride 50" or 60"  trails all day ? I can tell you that they do not , they want their own trails  that fit what they ride  .  

There is no argument that SxSs  have taken on a very large share of the marketplace . But does that mean that they should take over every trail that is suitable for singletrack or atv ? With trails  disappearing on a regular basis I would hope that the  SxS crowd would police themselves and have respect for others that use the trail systems .

I was riding a motorcycle long before atv's were around and I have been on atv's long before the advent of the SxS . I have nothing against  SxS's but I have no desire to own one , that is what my Jeep is for . I keep my Jeep on Jeep trails and my atv on atv trails . Simple philosophy , eh ?  

Big Ride 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Yeah , I kinda like to ride .

Public Lands Equal Access Alliance
Dedicated to Responsible Outdoor Recreation and the Preservation and Expansion of Trail Access
  IP Logged
BruteForce
Super Sponsor

Garfield County, Utah
Reply #11 - 11/07/11 at 08:07:32

BuddaBelly wrote on 11/07/11 at 07:36:34:
Thanks Big Ride and I agree with your explaination except we're not talking about installing a freeway. I'm talking about trails, mostly already established, and wider than 50" to begin with.....until some officials decide that 50" is the magic number. Regardless of how many factors were considered to determine this "magic" number, the 50" restriction will "magically" disappear as more people buy 60" rides.

I sure hope not. Some trails are barely wide enough for a single 50" or less machine to make it through (Joe Lott / Max Reid, Sam Stowe, sections of the Paiute South of Fillmore).

The big Rhino's and Rangers are also usually the worst offenders when it comes to destroying established trails (tearing down gates, ripping up the sides of the trails, etc).

I'm not trying to start a SxS debate, but I have plenty of photographic evidence to show how much damage these larger machines can make and how careless many of the drivers are (drinking beer, overloaded machines (5+ passengers), going WAY too fast, etc).

Hello, my name is: Jim

2020 Jeep Gladiator
-Falcon Shocks
-2" Lift, 37" Tires/Wheels
-Electronic rock sliders
2023 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (HO/EPS/Jet Black)
WWW   IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #12 - 11/07/11 at 08:37:52

I only have one question; who is Big Ride?  Smiley

And no I don't believe you will ever see the 50" designation go away, at least not from what I've been told by multiple land manager and others in the decision making loop. There may be more 60" designations but the 50" is here to stay.

WWW   IP Logged
m74me
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I Love Utah!

Hyrum, Utah
Reply #13 - 11/07/11 at 12:03:35

I am nearing retirement, too, and understand the desire to be able to get out and enjoy the outdoors.  But I hope that the 50" trail concept is maintained actively by land managers.  I REALLY enjoy the 50" trails and (no offense intended) find that the wider machines pushing into those trails really detract from my experience there just like it would detract from the experience of the single track people if I were to push into their trails and the single trackers detract from the experience of the hikers if they push.  I support the concept of maintaining those unique experiences for those who want them while trying to provide other experiences for the ones on the wider machines.  If it is well managed we can all have areas where we can enjoy our preferred experiences.  But it also means that we can't all go anywhere we want to nor can we have all of the areas for just our own preferred means of access.  If we can't work on that basis I am afraid it will ultimately result in all of us loosing.

IP Logged
weatherman
God Member

Hurricane Utah
Reply #14 - 11/07/11 at 12:50:00

When we bought our RZR, we knew that in some states we might be kept from some trails. Our choice. Some trails are for non-motorized use. Again we are too old for that, so our choice.

As long as everyone abides by the rules, we all benifit

O ye that love mankind!

-Thomas Paine
  IP Logged
Don S.
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

101st Airborne

Chula Vista, CA
Reply #15 - 11/07/11 at 12:52:12

Wink
I think that the last entry regarding 50" trails is the very best I have heard. It makes sense and explains the different people who are affected by encrouchment of different machines.

2010 Rzr
2007 Honda Rincon
  IP Logged
KTMer

I love ATVs!

Reply #16 - 11/11/11 at 22:20:49

(drinking beer, overloaded machines (5+ passengers), going WAY too fast, etc).
This goes for the QUAD guys too!!! and let me add no helmets plus 2 or three little kids on the there.

I have bikes, quads, UTV's and buggies they all have a place. I love to ride single track on my dirtbike and 50" trails with my 50" RZR. I follow the rules and wish everyone else would too. If they did im sure we would have a lot more area to ride.

IP Logged
b
Newbies

Reply #17 - 12/10/11 at 12:22:37

Before I plan a trip to Utah/Paiute trail area, I'm trying to make sure that there is riding from Marysvale area for a RZRs. We are wanting to enjoy the views that I've seen on the web.

Can I plan for the trails before I get out there? Huh

I just found out that we are actually 67" - RZRs without stock wheels

IP Logged
weatherman
God Member

Hurricane Utah
Reply #18 - 12/10/11 at 13:15:09

You will have lots of places to go. Get the Trails Illustrated Map offered on the this site, and plan away.

O ye that love mankind!

-Thomas Paine
  IP Logged
camorhino

Reply #19 - 12/10/11 at 20:03:13

b, you can't go wrong in Utah. Even with the 50" restrictions, there are more than enough trails to keep you busy. I suggest you buy the map from ATVUtah for the latest info. Support them for they are riders also, and keep this site going.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print