Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Emery County (Read 305 times)
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Emery County
02/04/19 at 16:26:15

I understand that Emery County commission pulled a fast one to discuss (more like vote) on a Lands Bill that would effectively give up the entire Southern half of the San Rafael Swell.

Supposed to be another meeting tomorrow at 6pm in Castledale (75 E Main Street, Castle Dale, UT, upstairs in the San Rafael Conference Room), but I think (correct me if wrong) that they already conceded that they'd support the bill and recommend a WSA to Curtis and the Democrat-in-hiding Mitt Romney!

Quote:
The Emery County Commissioners and several Utah politicians are trying to pass legislation designating over 1,000 square miles as wilderness which will make your favorite trails in the San Rafael Swell off limits to OHV's. The Devils Racetrack, Eagle Canyon and many others are in jeopardy with this latest bill. There is a meeting on February 5th at 6 pm in Emery County where you can show up and have your voice heard and express your displeasure with this bill. If you drive a Jeep, truck, ATV, UTV,, mountain bike are any other type of recreational vehicle you need to be there to keep this area open. Please share this event on FB and let's pack the house.  

Rep John Curtis
Ph.202-225-7751

Mitt Romney
Ph.202-224-5251

Emery County Commissioners
Ph.435-381-2119

Hello, my name is: Jim
2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (HO/EPS/Hunter Edition)
-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Re: Emery County
Reply #1 - 02/27/19 at 16:59:33

What's current status on this? If the house votes in favor of SUWA, what is the timing upon where this area becomes off-limits to OHV?

Super pathetic that a New Yorker and a couple of Idiot Utah politicians can lock up an area of land they've likely never seen. "Wilderness Area"? More like a great OHV area surrounded by hundreds of abandoned Uranium mines and mining equipment..  Angry

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #2 - 03/01/19 at 08:49:18

I've been Googling this and haven't found any updates.  This would seriously affect where I stay when I come to Utah.  I enjoy the Swell more than any other place.

IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #3 - 04/10/19 at 03:38:50

Just read this.  I wonder if the portion of Goblin State Park will encompass The Behind the Reef Trail?
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #4 - 04/10/19 at 05:10:35

I'd still like to see a clear and concise map of trails that will still be open to OHV use. I've yet to see any map that makes sense.

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #5 - 04/10/19 at 06:14:52

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Quote:
Designates the nearly 217,000-acre San Rafael Swell Recreation Area, which will be withdrawn from new mining claims and mineral leasing, and is closed to the construction of new off-road vehicle routes and trails. The 2017 settlement agreement reached between conservation organizations, off-road vehicle groups, and the Trump administration over BLM’s illegal 2008 travel plan will remain in place, requiring BLM to complete a new off-road vehicle plan for this area in the near future.

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #6 - 04/10/19 at 08:23:25

HOLY CRAP!!!   Looks like I will base out of Castle Valley after this year.

IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #7 - 04/10/19 at 08:31:20

Does anyone know when these changes take place?

IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #8 - 04/10/19 at 08:54:31

These areas will all be closed and designated as Wilderness areas. I'd love to see a detailed map via SAT/Google Earth imagery.

In accordance with the Wilderness Act (16 U.S.C. 1131 et seq.), the following parcels of Federal land in the State are designated as wilderness and as components of the National Wilderness Preservation System:

(1)Candland Mountain
Certain Federal land managed by the Forest Service, comprising approximately 11,521 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Candland Mountain Wilderness.

(2)Cold Wash
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 11,162 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Cold Wash Wilderness.

(3)Crack Canyon
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 25,719 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Crack Canyon Wilderness.

(4)Desolation Canyon
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 142,993 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Desolation Canyon Wilderness.

(5)Devil’s Canyon
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 8,675 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Devil’s Canyon Wilderness.

(6)Eagle Canyon
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 13,832 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Eagle Canyon Wilderness.

(7)Horseshoe Canyon (North)
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 26,192 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Horseshoe Canyon (North) Wilderness.

(8)Mexican Mountain
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 76,368 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Mexican Mountain Wilderness.

(9)Muddy Creek
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 48,330 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Muddy Creek Wilderness.

(10)Nelson Mountain
Certain Federal land managed by the Forest Service, comprising approximately 7,176 acres, and certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 257 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Nelson Mountain Wilderness.

(11)Red's Canyon
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 17,325 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Red’s Canyon Wilderness.

(12)San Rafael Reef
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 60,425 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the San Rafael Reef Wilderness.

(13)Sid’s Mountain
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 49,115 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Sid’s Mountain Wilderness.

(14)Turtle Canyon
Certain Federal land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, comprising approximately 29,029 acres, as generally depicted on the Map, which shall be known as the Turtle Canyon Wilderness.

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #9 - 04/10/19 at 09:36:04

Really limits OHV access from the towns of Ferron, Emery and Green River unless they keep some existing roads open.  I'm hoping with the usual government red tape that I get my last good Swell ride in this June.

IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #10 - 04/10/19 at 10:05:10

Flipper wrote on 04/10/19 at 09:36:04:
Really limits OHV access from the towns of Ferron, Emery and Green River unless they keep some existing roads open.  I'm hoping with the usual government red tape that I get my last good Swell ride in this June.

I'm heading to Temple Mountain next weekend (Easter), I'll find out real quick if they've already started to close off any trails.

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #11 - 04/11/19 at 06:09:12

Found this online:

The enactment of the new law sets a process in motion, which will likely take a few months, and in some cases a few years to complete. Specific timelines are set for most elements of this process:

Within 180 days, a seven-member Advisory Council will be established which will advise the Secretary of the Interior with respect to the preparation and implementation of the Management Plan for the Recreation Area. Criteria for membership of the seven council members are:
1 member shall represent the Emery County Commission
1 member shall represent motorized recreation users
1 member shall represent non-motorized recreation users
1 member shall represent grazing permittees
1 member shall represent conservation organizations
1 member shall have expertise in the historical uses of the recreation area; and
1 member shall be appointed from the elected leadership of a federally recognized Indian Tribe.
With participation of the Advisory Council, the Secretary will develop a comprehensive management plan for the recreation area within five years.
Within wilderness areas, an inventory of facilities and improvements associated with grazing activities will be completed in collaboration with grazing permittees within two years.
In collaboration with affected grazing permittees, an inventory of facilities and improvements associated with grazing activities in the Recreation Area will be completed within five years.
A study of non-motorized recreation trail opportunities within the recreation area will be conducted within two years.
A trail plan of hiking and equestrian trails within wilderness areas will be established.
BLM will create a management plan for Jurassic National Monument.
The designated area will be conveyed to State Parks and Recreation from the federal government.
A process, which is totally separate from the new law, but parallel to it, involves planning for motorized recreational trails. Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance brought suit against the Bureau of Land Management and Department of Interior several years ago. The litigation was brought against travel management decisions of the Price, Vernal, Moab, Monticello and Kanab Field Offices. In January 2017, Federal Judge Kimball in Salt Lake issued a Settlement Agreement in regard to SUWA vs. DOI. In regard to the Price Field Office and the motorized routes in Emery County, the judge directed the Bureau of Land Management to re-evaluate motorized trails, with particular attention given to cultural resource protection. Timelines to accomplish this were also given by the judge. Price BLM has until November of 2019 to complete the Travel Management evaluation on the San Rafael Desert area and two additional years to complete Travel Management in the San Rafael Swell area.

So, as stakeholders and user groups continue to enjoy and use the public land in Emery County, we should be aware of a few things:

Some new designations have been made to some of the areas we recreate in, run cattle in and otherwise enjoy as public land.
Changes due to these designations in how we continue to use these resources are minimal and will come slowly over time.
Generally, we can continue to use the natural resources in these areas as we have in the past.
If you have questions regarding how the new law affects you and your resource use, you can call the Emery County Public Lands Department with questions at (435) 381-3556

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #12 - 04/20/19 at 07:37:55

An update on this from a personal perspective:

Rut and I rode from Temple Mountain to Fullers Bottom yesterday. We clocked just over 126 miles yesterday. We were super surprised to not only see a couple of new trails, but BRAND NEW (like 1 -2 weeks old max) trail markers, trail maps ans signage.

The kiosk at the junction of South Coal Wash and Devil's Racetrack has been removed, but replaced with a brand new map and trail markers.

Seems the BLM is improving the area and making the Wildlife areas more known with these new signs.

Smiley

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #13 - 04/20/19 at 20:21:33

Do you have GPS tracks for these new trails?

IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #14 - 04/21/19 at 13:36:19

Flipper wrote on 04/20/19 at 20:21:33:
Do you have GPS tracks for these new trails?

I have full GPSr tracks of our 3 days of riding. We clocked over 300+ miles in 3 days. Rode just about everything South and everything North of I-70. There is one serious technical section on what I think is a new trail called "Moores trail" that intersects the Moore cut-off road. This technical jaunt is about ~3 miles North of I-70 and is FUGLY steep and littered with slippery shale-type rock.

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #15 - 04/22/19 at 06:58:38

I'm real curious about seeing the track for that technical trail.  I stayed in Ferron last summer and did some exploring S.E. of there.  Some of the locals gave me some advice on where to ride "local" trails.  I hit one that was pretty interesting.  Sounds like that might have been one of them.

IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #16 - 04/22/19 at 08:03:20

Flipper wrote on 04/22/19 at 06:58:38:
I'm real curious about seeing the track for that technical trail.  I stayed in Ferron last summer and did some exploring S.E. of there.  Some of the locals gave me some advice on where to ride "local" trails.  I hit one that was pretty interesting.  Sounds like that might have been one of them.

This trail in particular spans the area to the North of Moore's cut-off road and East of Ferron. It starts as open desert, then you climb a slight hill where the BLM sign has been destroyed. Head right, you dead-end on a mesa overlooking a deep canyon. Head to the left and you drop into the canyon. Canyon is a boulder-slog mostly and candidly, if you don't pay close attention, appears to have no EXIT out of this canyon.

We walked back in after multiple tries to get to the trail we could see on the far side of the canyon. Once on foot, we could see the rock reinforced trailhead climbing up and out of the canyon. I'll try to provide GPSr coords for the drop-in point.

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
Rutcutter
God Member
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Plain City/Mt. Pleasant, Utah
Reply #17 - 04/22/19 at 08:18:58

I don't think they are new trails, just new to us riding them.

This is a picture of the FUGLY spot near the Moore cut off Jim is mentioning.  It doesn't look like much but you have to drop down or ride up from the wash. It is definitely the steepest thing I have ever climbed.
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
or Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
!!

My ride
2018 Sportsman 1000Xp
Havasu red pearl
3500# Polaris winch with wireless remote
Interco Sniper 920 tires
Elka stage 3 shocks
Ricochet 8 piece belly armor with UHMW composite slides
Bad boy airhorn
Tusk street legal kit
LED headlights
LED daylight driving lights
much more!
  IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #18 - 04/22/19 at 10:55:38

Rutcutter wrote on 04/22/19 at 08:18:58:
I don't think they are new trails, just new to us riding them.

I wasn't referring to the technical as a new trail, it was clear that this has seen some use and the trail sign looks to have been destroyed/vandalized quite some time ago.

I was referring to the 2nd trail into/out of Eagle Canyon and the alternate route to/from the San Rafael River at Fuller Bottom.

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #19 - 04/22/19 at 11:01:09

The drop-in is here: 40.6562556, -111.9037220

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #20 - 04/22/19 at 11:02:13

The steep climb-out is here: 38°55'20.2"N 110°56'20.2"W

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #21 - 04/22/19 at 12:12:38

Yep that's the one.  I couldn't get through the boulder choke last year on my RZR.  I went in from both directions and subsequently went back out from both directions.  The previous time I rode that trail I believe was in 2016 and it was no issue at all.  The whole trail looked completely different last year.

IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #22 - 04/22/19 at 13:46:51

Flipper wrote on 04/22/19 at 12:12:38:
Yep that's the one.  I couldn't get through the boulder choke last year on my RZR.  I went in from both directions and subsequently went back out from both directions.  The previous time I rode that trail I believe was in 2016 and it was no issue at all.  The whole trail looked completely different last year.

Its still a boulder slog to get in. The further you get into that canyon, the narrower it gets and the larger the boulders are.

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
rockhound
Super Sponsor
Big Ride

I Love Utah!

Duchesne-South Jordan
Reply #23 - 04/22/19 at 18:45:20

BruteForce wrote on 04/22/19 at 08:03:20:
Flipper wrote on 04/22/19 at 06:58:38:

This trail in particular spans the area to the North of Moore's cut-off road and East of Ferron. It starts as open desert, then you climb a slight hill where the BLM sign has been destroyed. Head right, you dead-end on a mesa overlooking a deep canyon. Head to the left and you drop into the canyon. Canyon is a boulder-slog mostly and candidly, if you don't pay close attention, appears to have no EXIT out of this canyon.

We walked back in after multiple tries to get to the trail we could see on the far side of the canyon. Once on foot, we could see the rock reinforced trailhead climbing up and out of the canyon. I'll try to provide GPSr coords for the drop-in point.

Hey we was down there the same day, kickstart fixed the rock ramp the day before we rode it and by the time we got there, we could see it was blown out. Must have been you guys dropping into Eagle Canyon.

IP Logged
Rutcutter
God Member
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Plain City/Mt. Pleasant, Utah
Reply #24 - 04/22/19 at 19:42:34

Dropping into Eagle?????What are you talking about?????

My ride
2018 Sportsman 1000Xp
Havasu red pearl
3500# Polaris winch with wireless remote
Interco Sniper 920 tires
Elka stage 3 shocks
Ricochet 8 piece belly armor with UHMW composite slides
Bad boy airhorn
Tusk street legal kit
LED headlights
LED daylight driving lights
much more!
  IP Logged
rockhound
Super Sponsor
Big Ride

I Love Utah!

Duchesne-South Jordan
Reply #25 - 04/22/19 at 20:18:06

Rutcutter wrote on 04/22/19 at 19:42:34:

Whoops, I meant to say climbing out of Eagle Canyon as per your picture and comment. We dropped in to the canyon.

IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #26 - 04/23/19 at 05:03:09

rockhound wrote on 04/22/19 at 20:18:06:
Rutcutter wrote on 04/22/19 at 19:42:34:

Whoops, I meant to say climbing out of Eagle Canyon as per your picture and comment. We dropped in to the canyon.

We might be thinking about two different places. This isn't quite proximate to Eagle Canyon. In fact,if heading South (like we were), you have to run a bit of asphalt along Moore's Cut-off Road before going over I-70 near the Copper Globe / Justensens Flat area, then you have to run back under I-70 toward Eva Conover before dropping back into Eagle Canyon.

-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print