Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
07/16/19 at 09:20:59

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need info for Mussentuchit area (Read 95 times)
ReconTK
Newbies

Illinois
Need info for Mussentuchit area
02/17/19 at 10:31:55

I am in the process of planning my May 18 -26 trip. The area I want to explore would be bordered by I-70 to the north, Hwy 72 to the west, Muddy Creek to the east, and the northern border of Capitol Reef National Park to the south.

I have been staring at Google maps for a while now trying to figure out where to camp. I will be camping in a tent so it would be nice to have a few trees. The only area I can figure out would be off of Hwy 72 heading east on FR206. I know that this is about 9400 ft. in elevation. My plan right now would be to camp somewhere on FR019 at 7900 ft.

Will the snow be melted in this area at this time of year? Will these higher elevation roads be dry enough? Can anybody suggest a good location at a lower elevation?

2017 Polaris SP850 Touring
2007 Polaris SP800X2
2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins
  IP Logged
BruteForce
Super Sponsor

South Jordan, Utah
Re: Need info for Mussentuchit area
Reply #1 - 03/03/19 at 16:36:07

Snow is melting fast & furious right now. That area doesn't generally get much snow, but this has been an exceptional year for snow.

As for trees, good luck in that area. Not many trees to speak of. Curious why you want to ride that area in particular when there are so many better places to ride in the San Rafael Swell -- in May?

If it were me, I'd make base camp nearer Temple Mountain, or just off Floy Rd exit (at I-70) at White Sands Wash..

If you need/want Garmin GPSr tracks for that area, DM me with your email address.

Hello, my name is: Jim
2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (HO/EPS/Hunter Edition)
-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
ReconTK
Newbies

Illinois
Reply #2 - 03/03/19 at 19:13:09

Thanks for the reply. I have been to the San Rafael Swell many times in the spring, fall, and winter. Great area and I love it. I just figured I would explore new areas.

For the past 8 years I have been making a one week May trip and then a two week August trip. Last year in May I was exploring the area just to the west of Canyonlands NP. I've been to Paiute, Arapeen, Henry Mtns., Moab, some Gooseberry. Some of these places may not be that exciting to you but I live in a suburb just outside of Chicago. So everything I see in Utah is great to me even if some of the riding is on gravel roads.

I might have enough pto time this year to make an October trip. If I do I will probably do the traditional Swell area.

I just like riding, exploring, shooting, and camping. Unfortunately I live in Illinois.

I read the forum every day to try and learn new areas to ride and camp. You and Rutcutter seem to be putting up the most info right now. Keep the trip reports coming.  

2017 Polaris SP850 Touring
2007 Polaris SP800X2
2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins
  IP Logged
BruteForce
Super Sponsor

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #3 - 03/04/19 at 05:24:38

Gotcha. That makes total sense.

If it were me tent camping, I might opt to hang out somewhere proximate to this location and trail:

38.737911, -111.129155

Hello, my name is: Jim
2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (HO/EPS/Hunter Edition)
-Elka Shocks
-Vipr Tires
-Winch w/Synth
-Street LE
2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850
-Elka Shocks
-Full Skid Plates
-Winch w/Synth
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print