Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
12/03/23 at 17:47:39

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hurricane to Parowan loop (Read 174 times)
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Hurricane to Parowan loop
06/07/20 at 18:38:03

So the plan was to spend a few days near Hurricane and do a loop up to Parowan back to Hurricane.  I had done this loop in two different rides in years past so I figured no worries.  First off I did not take Brute Forces advice and tried to ford the Virgin River west of St George.  It wasn't  so much not taking his advice but me being way too stubborn.  Found the opening on the south side by following my GPS track from 2015.  The North side was a different situation.  I had crossed straight across 5 years ago.  I took my boots off and walked the river up and down stream to find a way through the brush with no luck.  At this point B.F. is saying to himself "no $%#&"  The sad point is, it would only take an hour for two people with saws to cut a path through so people could make a nice loop ride. Anyway I back tracked and rode through St George to the staging area.  One issue resolved, onto #2.  80 miles in I blow a seal in my front shock, well I'm not turning back now so onward I ride.  Just north of Newcastle there is a stretch of trail that is extremely off camber and I hit it just as the winds pick up and subsequently my RZR.  I'm leaning out the door to try and get the port side of the RZR back on the ground.  All good now, nope. On my final stretch into Parowan, BAM someone put up a fence. So an hour later I'm back on track after finding a detour.  At 9pm I arrive in town just as all the restaurants are closing.  So I make my way to the Airbnb I rented and cooked up some MRE's I have stashed away.  The next day I set out and make my way up the Markagunt Trail system.  The main trail was still closed which I knew so I had a bypass around I thought, nope, that trail was sold and is now private property.  So I had to loop around into Hatch and make my way back to Duck Creek.  My plan was to find a route from there to Mt Carmel.  I followed the Markagunt Trail to the south end of the national forest.  I did find the trail that led to Mt Carmel and I do recommend this trail.  I will post the track at a later date.  From Mt Carmel the plan was to follow The Barracks trail to the Pink Sands state park then head west in Arizona to the Honeymoon Trail and drop down to my truck.  Well I made it all the way to the big sand hill on the Barracks trail. I debated before coming out about putting a new set of Maxxis Viprs on my RZR and didn't do it.  The Viprs were new the last time I  hit that hill and they climbed it with ease. Again I back tracked and made my way east and came down a different way.  After that it was smooth sailing.  450 miles in two days.  Even with the mishaps it was a great ride and worth every sore muscle I had.  I will post the  GPS track in a few days.

IP Logged
BruteForce
Super Sponsor

Garfield County, Utah
Re: Hurricane to Parowan loop
Reply #1 - 06/08/20 at 05:32:35

Wow! That's a ton of miles in 2 days.

As for the Virgin River.. "TOLD YA SO!"  Rolling on floor laughing

Looking forward to seeing some photos and tracks. Be safe. Weather has been wild last couple of days.

Hello, my name is: Jim

2020 Jeep Gladiator
-Falcon Shocks
-2" Lift, 37" Tires/Wheels
-Electronic rock sliders
2023 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (HO/EPS/Jet Black)
WWW   IP Logged
Rutcutter
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Plain City/Mt. Pleasant, Utah
Reply #2 - 06/08/20 at 08:34:12

I wish we would have been with you at the river, I would love to get a path reopened where you said.

My ride
2018 Sportsman 1000Xp
Havasu red pearl
3500# Polaris winch with wireless remote
Interco Sniper 920 tires
Elka stage 3 shocks
Ricochet 8 piece belly armor with UHMW composite slides
Bad boy airhorn
Tusk street legal kit
LED headlights
LED daylight driving lights
much more!
  IP Logged
BruteForce
Super Sponsor

Garfield County, Utah
Reply #3 - 06/08/20 at 09:36:33

Rutcutter wrote on 06/08/20 at 08:34:12:
I wish we would have been with you at the river, I would love to get a path reopened where you said.

Concur. Need to drive the Jeep down there with some shovels and a chain saw..

2020 Jeep Gladiator
-Falcon Shocks
-Electronic rock sliders
WWW   IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #4 - 06/08/20 at 21:34:02

I regret I didnt do it when I was there.  I had an emergency saw in my trunk.  It would've taken a while and I certainly wouldn't have made it to Parowan but that's what my tent is for.

IP Logged
BruteForce
Super Sponsor

Garfield County, Utah
Reply #5 - 06/09/20 at 05:55:33

Flipper wrote on 06/08/20 at 21:34:02:
I regret I didnt do it when I was there.  I had an emergency saw in my trunk.  It would've taken a while and I certainly wouldn't have made it to Parowan but that's what my tent is for.  

So, the GPSr tracks you mentioned. They not only end up at a huge growth of bushes, but there was also a massive dirt mound that created quite an obstacle. Did you find a better route around those that could be cleared? The trees would have been no issue with shears or a saw, but that ~5' tall dirt mound was quite the obstacle on the near side.

2020 Jeep Gladiator
-Falcon Shocks
-Electronic rock sliders
WWW   IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #6 - 06/09/20 at 07:26:30

I did not see any huge dirt mound.  The river bank down stream from my original crossing was quite high though.

IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #7 - 02/04/22 at 06:53:35

I'm bringing this post back to life for a simple question.  I was wondering if the brush has been cleared away from the river bank so it can be crossed? I'm basing out of Pine Valley this June and i want to make a loop ride to Mt Carmel Junction and then head northwest to I-15 then end u back at the cabin.  I would prefer to cross this river vs riding through St George.  If it hasn't been cleared, I have a ride planned out before that ride that takes me within 5 miles of this crossing,  I might just pretend I'm Paul Bunyan and clear it out with my 20v chainsaw we use at home to clear the trails on our ranch.  Do you think this would be an issue with anyone?

IP Logged
BruteForce
Super Sponsor

Garfield County, Utah
Reply #8 - 02/04/22 at 06:59:50

RUT and I *MIGHT* be making a jaunt that direction next weekend.

Flipper wrote on 02/04/22 at 06:53:35:
I'm bringing this post back to life for a simple question.  I was wondering if the brush has been cleared away from the river bank so it can be crossed? I'm basing out of Pine Valley this June and i want to make a loop ride to Mt Carmel Junction and then head northwest to I-15 then end u back at the cabin.  I would prefer to cross this river vs riding through St George.  If it hasn't been cleared, I have a ride planned out before that ride that takes me within 5 miles of this crossing,  I might just pretend I'm Paul Bunyan and clear it out with my 20v chainsaw we use at home to clear the trails on our ranch.  Do you think this would be an issue with anyone?

2020 Jeep Gladiator
-Falcon Shocks
-Electronic rock sliders
WWW   IP Logged
Rutcutter
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Reply #9 - 02/04/22 at 14:46:50

From what I remember the last time Brute and I were there the brush was the least of it. It was the cliff of sand you had to go down to even get to the water. "IF" we were at the right spot.

My ride
2018 Sportsman 1000Xp
Havasu red pearl
Interco Sniper 920 tires
Elka stage 3 shocks
Bad boy airhorn
Tusk street legal kit
LED headlights
much more!
  IP Logged
Flipper
Super Sponsor

I love to ride!

Allegan, Mi
Reply #10 - 02/04/22 at 14:52:08

I'm hoping 2 years has changed that condition. 😆

IP Logged
Rutcutter
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Reply #11 - 02/05/22 at 08:03:26

Well when you go let us know. I am sure we can breakaway and meet up.

My ride
2018 Sportsman 1000Xp
Havasu red pearl
Interco Sniper 920 tires
Elka stage 3 shocks
Bad boy airhorn
Tusk street legal kit
LED headlights
much more!